Do FHA Receptacle Height requirements apply on remodels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekk

Hello Forum:

I've searched through the myriad threads on this forum but have not found an answer to a particular issue I have. I know that the FHA (Fair Housing Act) applies to almost all units in newer condominium buildings (except for those not reachable with an elevator). However, would they apply in the remodel of a single, private unit versus the initial new construction?

The particular issue I?m having is a long section of glass floor to ceiling windows (this is in a high rise). We will be placing floor boxes in this area to comply with 210.52. The FHA design manual allows floor boxes but requires an additional, accessible receptacle in the same space or area (at 15? to 48? AFF).

There is no description of what constitutes the ?same space or area,? but in this case we would end up with walls where the nearest accessible receptacles would be at least 40? away.

Has anyone come across a similar situation or have a better idea on how to apply this vaguely worded guideline?

Thanks.

ceb58

Hello Forum:

I've searched through the myriad threads on this forum but have not found an answer to a particular issue I have. I know that the FHA (Fair Housing Act) applies to almost all units in newer condominium buildings (except for those not reachable with an elevator). However, would they apply in the remodel of a single, private unit versus the initial new construction?

The particular issue I?m having is a long section of glass floor to ceiling windows (this is in a high rise). We will be placing floor boxes in this area to comply with 210.52. The FHA design manual allows floor boxes but requires an additional, accessible receptacle in the same space or area (at 15? to 48? AFF).

There is no description of what constitutes the ?same space or area,? but in this case we would end up with walls where the nearest accessible receptacles would be at least 40? away.

Has anyone come across a similar situation or have a better idea on how to apply this vaguely worded guideline?

Thanks.

If you comply with 210.52 A 3 that is what code calls for. I would say there DESIGN MANUAL would refer to installing a floor recp. as a convenience receptacle not a requried receptacle.

growler

I know that the FHA (Fair Housing Act) applies to almost all units in newer condominium buildings (except for those not reachable with an elevator). However, would they apply in the remodel of a single, private unit versus the initial new construction?

This is one of those times when the best and easiest thing to do is call up the local authorities and discuss the matter with them. They are the one's that will issue a CO on the residence and in the end it will be their call.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I try to remind people that the code does not mandate floor to ceiling windows, but it does mandate receptacle outlets.

If the windows were already there, I agree that you should talk with the local AHJ and see what can be done. Remember it's not their job to design it for you, so when you go in with a question, make sure you have an answer ready too.

derekk

Thanks for the replies. I've already discussed with the AHJ and they will need to come out to the site. However, I think too few people understand that the FHA accessibility requirements DO apply to private residential condominiums. Every time I see a question in an forum on device heights, the answer is almost always that ADA does not apply to private residences. That's true, but more people need to understand that many ADA compliant devices DO need to be installed to comply with the FHA, and almost every newer condo unit falls under this act.

cadpoint

Throw is back in the Architects Lap! It's their design of an all glass structure in the confinds of a FHA Design Spec'd / requirements.

Point is it's their problem not yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.