Are 42 circuit load centers common in your area

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-27

I sometimes consider using 42 circuit load center on various jobs.

In my area 42 circuit panels are somewhat rare, (40 circuits is the norm). Generally the local supply houses don't stock them, (but they are happy to order them).

I always try to leave 3 to 6 circuits as spares, hence the interest in a larger panel.

I'm thinking of using more 42 circuit panels, any reason I should not use a 42 Circuit Load center?

X-27

I am trying to understand why the 42 space panels are rather rare.

Even in commercial jobs, or large homes with 4 - 6 panels, 40 space panels are the norm.

"Someone" must be using them, or the 42 space load centers would not be made.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If you're only doing single phase commercial then that's why 40's are common. Once you step up to 3 phase you'll get into the 42 space panels.

I'm using a bunch of them on a warehouse right now. Siemens.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am trying to understand why the 42 space panels are rather rare.

Even in commercial jobs, or large homes with 4 - 6 panels, 40 space panels are the norm.

"Someone" must be using them, or the 42 space load centers would not be made.

I haven't purchased a 40 circuit panelboard in 17 years, that was when I rewired my house. As Cow mentions in post #4, when dealing with three phase, 42 circuit panelboards are the norm.

Roger

X-27

Understand the advantage in a three-phase application.

However, 42 space load centers are available for single phase too.

The Square D QO142M225 is one. (225A)

I guess I'm finding out that despite their availability, 42 space load centers are indeed unusual.

btharmy

I can see why 40 cir panels are more popular with single phase applications. With a 42 space panel, the last spaces would actually be A phase. Seems strange to me. However with 3ph. the last space is C phase like it should be.

tmason

no 42 circuit panels are nice just be cautious that when space is limited they may not fit they are kinda big but work well in most casese

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I use 42 circuit Square D Homeline and Cutler Hammer CH load centers all the time. The 42 circuit Homeline is the exact same box as the 40 circuit loadcenter. Unfortunately none of my supply houses are stocking any load center larger than 42 circuit yet. I have had a few application where the 60 circuit would be nice.

DavidA

42 space panels are almost all we use, but we primarily do 3 phase commercial buildings. I think I've seen a 60 space once in a multi-story office building.

X-27

I use 42 circuit Square D Homeline and Cutler Hammer CH load centers all the time. The 42 circuit Homeline is the exact same box as the 40 circuit loadcenter. Unfortunately none of my supply houses are stocking any load center larger than 42 circuit yet. I have had a few application where the 60 circuit would be nice.

I like the Square D QO line. The 42 space is 38" tall (the 40 space is 34" tall).

I think I will try some Square D QO 42 space loadcenters. I like the fact it is a bit taller (more room).

Status
Not open for further replies.