Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with TR receptacles

Problems with TR receptacles

We have now had two occasions where clients have complained about TR receptacles being too difficult to plug things into. On the first cmplaint I assumed they wer just not pushing evenly into the receptacle. As it turned out, they were actually just really hard to plug in. We swapped out 4 of the receptacles and everything was OK. Now we have a complaint from another client that says they have tried random locations throughout the house and all but a few are very hard to plug into. This latest batch is Cooper and the first onew were Hubble.

Have any of you had similar problems?

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Yes, I had to replace one at my own house. I do not remember the brand. I could not get anything into it.
    Tom
    TBLO

I have, and the Cooper seems to be the worst. P&S seems to work ok.
    Let me add, the Cooper in a GFCI was the worst, might have been a bad batch.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

i use p and s and leviton and they seem to be uniform. I explain to the customer about them and how to make sure to be even and square when you are plugging stuff in, i have never had to change one yet.

No call-backs here either. Of course I stick my tester in every one that I install, top and bottom, so maybe I'm just loosening up the mechanism to get it started for them.

Gee, and I remember all the manufacturers and other 'experts' telling us how these new TR receptacles were perfect, plug insertion would be easy, and that even old folks with arthritis had no problems.

How about ..... we drop the TR requirement. I'm willing to accept limiting it to specific locations, such as places normally accessible to children in child-care centers. Applying the requirement to a single receptacle on the ceiling of the garage is beyond silly.

Quote Originally Posted by renosteinke View Post
    How about ..... we drop the TR requirement. I'm willing to accept limiting it to specific locations, such as places normally accessible to children in child-care centers. Applying the requirement to a single receptacle on the ceiling of the garage is beyond silly.
    How about not? TRs are a good idea and add little to costs.

As noted some brands are better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    How about not? TRs are a good idea and add little to costs.

As noted some brands are better than others.
    How about they get the design right before putting them on the market? When they eventually hit my rental property those folk aren't gonna be slowed by "hard to insert". They'll just bust the thing. Then it'll be worse than without a TR.
    A rose by any other name is tax deductible [1978 Wayne Wilcox]
    People who read too many books get quirky. [2000 John Taylor Gatto]

I was told that the locking mechanism on them, at times breaks, so that you can not plug into them. Sure they will replace them, but we are out of a trip back.

"TRs are a good idea"

Just because something is a good idea does not mean it ought to become a matter of law. Let the market decide.

Case in point: There's no law that says gas stations must have public restrooms. Yet, it's a good idea. Ordinary market forces had resulted not only in nearly every gas station having a public restroom, but they often compete in the quality of their facilities.

Free markets work every time they're allowed to operate.