Power System for Training Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpietryga

I have several questions regarding the power system for a traveling training trailer. The trailer may be fed from shore power or a portable generator.

1) What are the applicable NEC requirements for this type of power system?
2) How would one do the proper grounding/bonding of the trailer's power system when operating on shore power vs. portable generator?
3) What type of receptacles would be used inside the trailer, normal or GFI?
4) Would the power system be similar to a recreational vehicle? If so, would anybody be able to reference a one-line or three-line electrical diagram for an RV?

Any other information on these types of power systems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have several questions regarding the power system for a traveling training trailer. The trailer may be fed from shore power or a portable generator.

1) What are the applicable NEC requirements for this type of power system?
I don't think the NEC applies to this kind of thing.
2) How would one do the proper grounding/bonding of the trailer's power system when operating on shore power vs. portable generator?
Portable generator grounding and bonding is covered in article 250.34.
Article 445 covers generators.

3) What type of receptacles would be used inside the trailer, normal or GFI?
I think I would be inclined to use GFCI type receptacles. But I don't see how that could be enforced as a requirement.
4) Would the power system be similar to a recreational vehicle? If so, would anybody be able to reference a one-line or three-line electrical diagram for an RV?
I think it would be similar in some respects, not so similar in others. You might be able to find a schematic for a travel type trailer on a travel trailer web site. Be aware that some of them use at least some 12 or 24 VDC. Probably not something you want to do.
Any other information on these types of power systems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think you will need to come up with some way to defend yourself from OSHA when they ask what standard you used. Even if it is not a requirement, the NEC is as good a place as any for an electrical installation spec. I think there is also another NFPA standard that just covers RVs. You might want to look at it as well.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
90.2(B) has some info

(B) Not Covered. This Code does not cover the following:
(1) Installations in ships, watercraft other than floating buildings,
railway rolling stock, aircraft, or automotive vehicles
other than mobile homes and recreational vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.