Samller Neutral on Residential serivce

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I believe that you can pull a smaller neutral wire on a service to a residence but I can't seem to find how to size it in the code book. Help anyone? Its a 200 amp service and I am pricing out copper and aluminum for the owner.

laketime

So to properly figure this how do you know what the maximum unbalanced load is?

Sorry for my ignorance spent 20 years works from engineered drawings only.:roll:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I think everyone around here uses 4/0 4/0 2/0 AL USE "sweetbriar." We don't usually use copper unless it's something other than residential.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think everyone around here uses 4/0 4/0 2/0 AL USE "sweetbriar." We don't usually use copper unless it's something other than residential.

Hopefully not on the interior of the residence (if that's it's only rating) ;)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It will be run underground in conduit to the panel. I believe if it is "under" the house it is "not on the interior" of the house
But it is in the house where it terminates (assuming the panel is in the house) and if the only rating is USE, you can't have it in the house.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
But it is in the house where it terminates (assuming the panel is in the house) and if the only rating is USE, you can't have it in the house.

I agree with Don, I missed or didn't pick up on the fact that you were intending on pulling USE in the conduit.

Roger

tryinghard

The utility meter may be outside but the service disconnect will be where the "service conductors" end. Noitce 230.70(A) for the service disconnect location.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Be sure your URD has the 8000 rating. It is flame retardant and can be used for interior applications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.