Above ground pools, 3-feet, and equipotential

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

How do you, as a contractor address this issue when there is grass around the pool. How do you, as an inspector address this issue?

Assuming a pool that does not meet the definition of storable.

Assuming the 2009 IRC or the 2008 NEC applies?

I am curious as to the differences of opinion on this subject.

Last edited:

ivsenroute

Does it make a difference whether or not the AG pool is storable? Assume a typical pool that does not meet the definition of storable pool.

Where is there an exclusion for AG pools?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does it make a difference whether or not the AG pool is storable? Assume a typical pool that does not meet the definition of storable pool.

Where is there an exclusion for AG pools?

If the pool is above ground and 42+" deep then an EPB is needed-- it is no longer storable. Storable pools 680 part III tells us to use parts I and III. The EPB is in part II. The definition of a storable pool is in part I

ivsenroute

Grass around an above ground pool, spa or hot tub is still a perimeter surface in need of bonding.

The single conductor bare Cu 8 awg can be slipped into the ground after pushing a shovel down into the ground around the circumference of the pool.

Jim W in Tampa

Grass around an above ground pool, spa or hot tub is still a perimeter surface in need of bonding.

The single conductor bare Cu 8 awg can be slipped into the ground after pushing a shovel down into the ground around the circumference of the pool.

Do you really believe that will do any good ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Can you show me where the NEC requires epb for an above ground pool that is 36"deep?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis it is not a 36 inch deep pool. He has told us twice that it is not a storable pool.

I think the 3' mentioned in the title is the 3' perimiter

A 3' perimeter pool?????? Sorry Bob I don't think so-- That's a 1' diameter pool-- even kiddie pools are bigger than that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well, I have to admit my feelings were a bit hurt when it seemed you thought I was goofy enough to think there was a pool greater than 42" deep and the diameter of a compound bucket ........ must be one of those pools for city homes. :grin:

Well I knew you had something other than what I was thinking but I could not place it. The 3' in the title threw me as all perimeter bonding is 3'.

Hey, you guys made me moderator, that's not my fault...:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.