home depot service provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't want to cast disparaging remarks about HD contractors but I've been on several installations where the HO bought their remodeled kitchens from HD and had them install as well. The first job I was on the EC had used Lightolier 1100 series recessed fixtures, the ones that you have to install staples into the sheetrock to hold down the frame so that when you push the can up it will hold properly. They threw the staples away, the ceiling was in the process of getting painted and I was called in (under the gun) to remedy the situation. I had no choice but to use self-tapping screws through the sheetrock and into the frame to hold down the frame. Then the painter showed me the kitchen cabinets - none of the doors were in line with each other.

The next job I was on, again the HO bought the kitchen cabs and install from HD. I tried to work with the installer but all he was interested in was getting the cabs installed in the very least amount of time. He left fixture whips buried inside walls instead of pulling them out for UC lights, etc. He was in and out in one day, I had to cut walls open to get to my wires.

The long and short of this is that if you want to be a HD contractor, make sure you get the $$ you want for the job and you don't end up shaving corners to make up for $$ you're not getting. From what I can tell HD seems to want fixed prices for everything (i.e how much do you charge for a receptacle ? How much do you charge to hang a fixture ?, etc)

GUNNING

cash flow but no profit/nightmare

cash flow but no profit/nightmare

Sounds familiar, but the contractor wanted more for less all the time. Then he ran into the customer from heck and melted down. The one that knows if they are not satisfied and don't sign off, they don't have to pay, & the contractors don't get paid. Only cost me $500, he moved onto greener fields.
Nobody did anything about dust containment, but it was on older homes. There was no way to upgrade the existing wiring or add outlets or come into compliance with existing expected codes, because the original cabinet layout didn't specify those changes. It was not fun until the HD installer was getting hammered like the subs had been from him. It was worth the 5 bills to see that. Still get calls from the customers for other work. I now only go to HD when I have to.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
we do it;

home depot is lousy to deal with, and some of the customers they bring are even worse.

it can be a headache, so we price accordingly. home depot has no control over what we charge, but they take a cut, so you have to add that on top.

i know a couple of guys who service HD in other departments and they have the same results.

as for having the customer sign off to get paid; i haven't experienced that. as in, i don't have to get paperwork signed by the customer for HD to pay. but most of the calls, the customer pays us directly. HD is only involved when they want to use their HD credit card.

Last edited:

GUNNING

headache 101

headache 101

It was hardball hard sell contracting. No room for negotiation to come into compliance. Can't get the job done because the job was sold and resold, unless your into charity work.

Don't walk to the nearest exit, run. Better yet park your service van near the front door and walk conspicuously around the electrical department being helpful.

Before entering the electrical field i installed vinyl replacement windows for H.D.

pros

Paid more per window then most companies.

All work was local.

They had a hands off approach.

Customers were decent for the most part.

cons

Payments were slow.

Alot of small jobs.

They have a strict drug/back ground check even for my helpers...
(which dosent seem like a big deal until your helper quits or gets tossed and you have to sit around until they get to the next guy who hopefully gets cleared)

They did have an exaggerated job completion automated phone system that could be a royal pain to deal with. Never had a problem with any paper work. Overall not a bad place to sub for.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know about ECs, but a guy I talked with who did other contracting work for them thought it was close to being a gold mine.

He had to pay them a cut, but the volume more than made up for it in his mind. he did not like selling anyway.

Most of it was small jobs. Fix a roof, install some replacement windows, etc. He even did some landscaping because the store could not find anyone else who wanted that work.

He got a fair amount of repeat business from the homeowners.

I think they have since changed the way they handle this kind of stuff. It may not be as attractive anymore, and the guy is not someone I have talked with in several years.

OTOH, a plumber I knew did not like dealing through them one bit.

I don't know if he is still there but the local HD used to have a semi-retired electrician on staff in their electrical department. He got tired of working outside in the weather, and having to do actual work, so took a pay cut to work at HD. He was quite happy with his choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.