High-rise conduit runs between floors help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi Guys, My GC wants me to do a 11 stories high rise with 107 apt and 1 commercial space on 2nd floor, my question is electrical room is on second floor can i bring my pvc conduits from slab to electrical room on second floor with PVC, than from MDP i have to run 2-4"conduits to every other floor for meter banks can i use pvc through floors and put fire caulking around it? they will be inside every electrical room that are in every floor. it will be a straight shot from second floor all the way to 11th floor?

some people tell me they have seen pvc in risers but i have always use EMT but in this case they dont want to expend extra money if its not needed

nickelec

I'm pretty sure there's no code prohibiting the use of pvc for risers most more of a spec question, but if im wrong someone my senior will definitely correct me here lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I find it hard to believe a high rise doesn't have a spec book. And equally surprised if they list PVC as OK for the risers. That said, nothing in the NEC prohibits the use of PVC in this application. However, you will definitely want to verify that there is a fire rated assembly that allows the PVC through the floors and have that paperwork available for the inspector.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I find it hard to believe a high rise doesn't have a spec book. And equally surprised if they list PVC as OK for the risers. That said, nothing in the NEC prohibits the use of PVC in this application. However, you will definitely want to verify that there is a fire rated assembly that allows the PVC through the floors and have that paperwork available for the inspector.

^^^^That right there. Give 3M a call, or whomever you intend to use for fire sealing compound, and see if they have a system listed for PVC to provide whatever matching fire resistance rating is required.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
^^^^That right there. Give 3M a call, or whomever you intend to use for fire sealing compound, and see if they have a system listed for PVC to provide whatever matching fire resistance rating is required.

One of the things I realize more and more through the years is the need to refer to more than just NFPA 70 for the work that we do.

EC

EC

have you seen or use PVC before in a job like this type? i can get the GC which is the owner of the building to approve PVC, question if you know when i go through floors do i put conduit before they poured concrete so it's in concrete or do i core drill after and leave a space around conduit to install fireproofing material?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Slider-Product-Image-LCC.jpg

You may well end up with something that looks like this but fire stopping is a unique science and there is a tremendous liability involved.
There are folks who specialize in the process and, considering the liability and change of having to "re-do", hiring one of them is likely money well spent

Craigv

I would ask for the design plans and be sure there's a PE's stamp on them. If there's a fatal fire at any point in the future, if the decision to use PVC was yours, guess who's facing a major lawsuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.