DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Now I’ve officially seen it all.
35c10c581aeeab6d69928e01d74cee39.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFletcher

Those old exit signs use 15 watt incandescent bulbs last about 800 hours and cost $4 a piece. Don't even know why you took the cover off of it, the whole thing needs to be thrown in the trash... No battery backup either.

Besoeker

Those old exit signs use 15 watt incandescent bulbs last about 800 hours and cost $4 a piece. Don't even know why you took the cover off of it, the whole thing needs to be thrown in the trash... No battery backup either.
There might be a common UPS feeding several signs. I got a bit involved with emergency exit signs for cinemas and other public buildings. Some had individual back up but most were fed from a common central UPS.Typically in the 15 to 60 kVA for three hours.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Went to a dorm building that my boss had sent two other guys to find out why the em circuits didn't work; found the feeder pipe had a problem... no wire!
The building was and had been occupied for years.
I called it into the shop they didn't believe me, owners son had to come see for himself. He looks at it then looks at me and said "but the other guys said it should work". That was the second time this Co. did that to me ( not believe what I said) I dragged up (quit) after I reamed the owner out.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Huh???

Huh???

I don't know what's going on, but I don't see an image or a link to whatever is of interest.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It was a picture of an exit sign, no battery, just two night-light bulbs in sockets with wires, and the housing burned and melted.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
...I dragged up (quit) after I reamed the owner out.
A guy I knew many years ago once quit a job and while doing so took advantage of the opportunity to tell his soon to be ex-boss exactly what he thought of him. It was very satisfying. Years later when he was being passed from manager to manager in interviewing for a job at another company, he was ushered into the office of the guy who would be his new boss. Guess who it was. He didn't get the job.

I have a policy of never burning a bridge even if I am sure that I will never need it again. <Bugs Bunny voice> Ehhhh, one never knows, do one?

growler

Now I’ve officially seen it all.

I don't know I saw one a couple of hours ago that's going to be hard to top.

Went to a house to check out a panel that's a mess ( changed out in past by someone that didn't know much about what they were doing). Panel was in a bathroom with not enough head room (working clearance) and a washer sitting in front of it.

They ask if I would check the AC condensers to see if the breakers were the right size. One of the condensers had a name plate marked as 460V 3-phase. Ever see one of those at a house with only 240V single phase? Buy the way it was hooked up ( not working but hooked up).

I can't help wondering which HVAC contractor installed that unit. I hear they didn't get a warranty for some reason. :jawdrop:

JFletcher

I don't know I saw one a couple of hours ago that's going to be hard to top.

Went to a house to check out a panel that's a mess ( changed out in past by someone that didn't know much about what they were doing). Panel was in a bathroom with not enough head room (working clearance) and a washer sitting in front of it.

They ask if I would check the AC condensers to see if the breakers were the right size. One of the condensers had a name plate marked as 460V 3-phase. Ever see one of those at a house with only 240V single phase? Buy the way it was hooked up ( not working but hooked up).

I can't help wondering which HVAC contractor installed that unit. I hear they didn't get a warranty for some reason. :jawdrop:

"Hello, Dominion, yes I need a price for running a 480v 3 pH service... to a residence.... yes, a house
.. yes, in a residential neighborhood... hello? hello?" :lol:

I wonder if it was a remanufactured unit with the wrong name plate on it. few years back I ran into a few PTAC units like that, they were remanufactured from 265 volt units, had all 208 / 240 guts in them, but still had the 265 volt nameplate on it. Threw me for a loop, wondering how a unit design for 277 was running fine on 208. Normally those remanufactured units have the name plate tore off or scratched through.

growler

I wonder if it was a remanufactured unit with the wrong name plate on it. few years back I ran into a few PTAC units like that, they were remanufactured from 265 volt units, had all 208 / 240 guts in them, but still had the 265 volt nameplate on it. Threw me for a loop, wondering how a unit design for 277 was running fine on 208. Normally those remanufactured units have the name plate tore off or scratched through.

Actually I wondered about that myself. The idea that someone had replaced the guts is possible.

I didn't want to open the unit and check anything. They are already dealing with someone on getting the units switched so I didn't want to touch a single screw.

I was just going to look at the name plate for breaker size and then show guy working there (handyman type) where to look in the future if he were in doubt about the breakers. I was the one that got the surprise because I sure wasn't expecting a 460V 3 phase unit.

Couple of weeks ago I checked a built in microwave and found a 240V unit hooked up to a 120V circuit. That didn't really surprise me as I was sort of expecting it.

norcal

"Hello, Dominion, yes I need a price for running a 480v 3 pH service... to a residence.... yes, a house
.. yes, in a residential neighborhood... hello? hello?" :lol:

I came across 277V troffers in a bootleg mother in law unit attached to a shop w/ a 480/277V service, owners were replacing the ceiling & wanted ceiling fans, & they took the fixtures out HOT, the ceiling fans would had the magic smoke let out had they tried to hook them up as-is. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.