Mudrings protruding 1/4" out - Any solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

Long story short:
Kitchen remodel. Customer tells me he'll have 1/2" granite back splash, I size the mud rings accordingly, he decides to go cheap and puts tiles, doesn't call when he gets to first one to let me know.
So now I got the mud rings sticking out anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4".
Anyone knows of some plate that would take care of this? Or any other solution other than changing the mud rings?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I had the same problem in a small bathroom remodel for a farm shop. The contractor used 1/2" rock instead of 5/8" like the bathrooms had before.

The contractor ended up caulking around the coverplates to cover the gap.:roll: That'll be fun the next time you need to change a switch...

BMacky

IF it's being tiled, who cares what the patch looks like? Cut 'em out and replace. Are we talking multi-gang switch boxes as well as recepts? Can the tile setter build up the splash with some mortar or other backerboard?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
IF it's being tiled, who cares what the patch looks like? Cut 'em out and replace. Are we talking multi-gang switch boxes as well as recepts? Can the tile setter build up the splash with some mortar or other backerboard?

If I read it properly, the tile is already installed.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
b121adj_cl1

I agree with using these next time. Hard lesson learned there. :)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
b121adj_cl1

I agree with using these next time. Hard lesson learned there. :)
Yeah, you think so, until you come back to trim and find that the tile guy made his cuts so tight that they overlap the edge of your nice adjustable box. Not as bad as sticking out too far though.
do they make something like this for commercial work.
Yeah skippy. Arlington has the good stuff- click here

stevenje

Long story short:
Kitchen remodel. Customer tells me he'll have 1/2" granite back splash, I size the mud rings accordingly, he decides to go cheap and puts tiles, doesn't call when he gets to first one to let me know.
So now I got the mud rings sticking out anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4".
Anyone knows of some plate that would take care of this? Or any other solution other than changing the mud rings?

I am not sure if Leviton still makes deep wallplates. The Leviton part # 85303 is for a brown extra deep duplex outlet cover. Check with your supply house.

Strife

Thank you all for the reply.
Actually, when I put the covers, it turned out it was a lousy tile job as well. One tile was flush with the cover while the one above had a 1/8" space between the cover and the tile. So I pointed that to owner as well, and he agreed he'll just caulk it.

I am not sure if Leviton still makes deep wallplates. The Leviton part # 85303 is for a brown extra deep duplex outlet cover. Check with your supply house.

Status
Not open for further replies.