school/work

Status
Not open for further replies.

volt-man

i'm 27 years old and just started goin back to school for electrician which so far im loving it even tho all this math is beating me up and seems to only be getting harder.. i have been hearing that its hard to find a job now in days for electricians.. i want to know if this is true or Bull..? i dont want to stop but is it gonna pay off at the end...?

S'mise

Yes, It's hard to find Electrician work these days. But, Don't let that stop you if its something you like to do. If you like what you do as a career you will probably be happy, even if you have to eat Macoroni and cheese for dinner every night. ;)

If I was in your shoes I would not pay for school to become an Electrician. Find an apprentiship where you can learn on the job and study on your free time.

i'm 27 years old and just started goin back to school for electrician which so far im loving it even tho all this math is beating me up and seems to only be getting harder.. i have been hearing that its hard to find a job now in days for electricians.. i want to know if this is true or Bull..? i dont want to stop but is it gonna pay off at the end...?

It is definitely hard to find work right now. I made the career change at 25 and knew nothing about electricity. I recommend you try to find an apprenticeship program. In regards to school, if you have the funds to do it, then do it. I had to go to the library and surf the internet to educate myself. Then when I did get the funds I invested in mike holts products. I got laid off early last year and started my own company and I wouldn't have the confidence I have now if it wasn't for all the training I gained from mike. I say go for it

cadpoint

I say go for it also. Any formal training counts is more than you have now.

You will be glad you did down the road. IMPO...

I also think it will also open doors that won't be touchable otherwise.

My parents always stressed get two vocations, if you can't do one go do the other.

Stay stoked! :)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Yes, It's hard to find Electrician work these days. But, Don't let that stop you if its something you like to do. If you like what you do as a career you will probably be happy, even if you have to eat Macoroni and cheese for dinner every night. ;)

If I was in your shoes I would not pay for school to become an Electrician. Find an apprentiship where you can learn on the job and study on your free time.

IIRC the apprenticeship was far from free. Over $400 each year. Most of that went toward text books, which there was a lot of. I still have all of them. I think over the 5 year course I got around 75 books.

Besoeker

i'm 27 years old and just started goin back to school for electrician which so far im loving it even tho all this math is beating me up and seems to only be getting harder.. i
I think it is a common take on the subject of mathematics. I think that there is a perception, or maybe an expectation, that it is going to be hard. Thus, maybe it becomes so.
If you can work out that, if you buy something that costs $8.99 and tender a $10 bill that you should get $1.01 in change or work out the price of a 50 foot reel of cable that costs $0.90 a foot and expect to pay $45.00, you probably have the arithmetical skills to do the job.
From what I have seen, and learned, from this forum understanding and applying code requirements is the greater challenge.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I think it is a common take on the subject of mathematics. I think that there is a perception, or maybe an expectation, that it is going to be hard. Thus, maybe it becomes so.
If you can work out that, if you buy something that costs $8.99 and tender a $10 bill that you should get $1.01 in change or work out the price of a 50 foot reel of cable that costs $0.90 a foot and expect to pay $45.00, you probably have the arithmetical skills to do the job.
From what I have seen, and learned, from this forum understanding and applying code requirements is the greater challenge.

Yup. Then the trick is doing it with what you have in your truck and what the customer wants to pay.

There are still areas that are hiring, maybe not at the $$$ you're looking for. (I would not be hoping to wire a Nuke power plant.) One of the larger contractors in this area is hiring apprentices now.

Status
Not open for further replies.