Wireless Switching Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a customer that lives at lakeside in my community. He currently has about (8) 150 watt HPS light fixtures sprinkled throughout his back yard shining up into the trees. I've already suggested that he replace those lights with LED type. He would like to break up the lighting circuit into three separate and switched circuits. If any of you have a suggestion as to good and reliable wireless switches that can be used with a remote control I would appreciate knowing about them. In addition, the power for these lights will be coming from a breaker panel in a detached garage. He would like to be able to switch the lights on from the house which is about 50' away. Thanks in advance.

The most reliable wireless switching I've used is Lutron Caseta or Maestro with a Pico remote. With that being said, you are pushing the outer ranges of it at 50'. If the wireless signal doesn't have to pass through multiple walls or other obstacles it may work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

macmikeman

Lighting contactor with a Linear Alert handheld pendant for the sending end, and the same brand receiver hooked to the coil circuit for the contactor. I run a pressure pump for my weak water supply to my place , and the pump is located about 75 feet from the pendants. Sold at ADI.

kwired

Electron manager
.22 rifle - should be able to shut them off remotely, little more work to turn them on again after using this method of turning them off though:D

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
.22 rifle - should be able to shut them off remotely, little more work to turn them on again after using this method of turning them off though:D

I thought thats how you turn the neighbor’s light off it they forget to.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know X-10 is an older style of remote switching and isn't reliable at times. However, at least it transmitted signals over existing house wiring. I'm looking for something more up to date and more reliable. The plan is to power all lighting and power to the boat dock from the breaker panel in the garage. I would like to be able to switch lights on from inside the house if possible.

I'm not going to go nuts with trying to accomplish this. If worse comes to worse I'll put the lights on a timer or a photocell or maybe go the route that Macmikeman suggested.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If they have an existing x10 system then the Insteon switch will work but it requires a neutral connection.
I use Lutron's RF switch with a PICO remote. It is the exact same switch as the Casetta but cheaper for just an on/off switch. You are limited by distance and current draw though. I think the RF is rated at 5A.
You could use multiple RF switches and break up the circuit if it draws more than 5A.

ETA: I had one project that had a larger than 5A load and I used a contactor to control the lights and used the wireless switch to control the contactor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.