out of business

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i am very sad to say, that as of yesterday at 3:00 i closed down my company. i have to admit already i feel a bunch of stress relief it is kinda bitter sweet. i will be happier not having all the head aches and dealing with crap owning a business but still sad that what i worked so hard for is gone. any thoughts

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
so i am very sad to say, that as of yesterday at 3:00 i closed down my company. i have to admit already i feel a bunch of stress relief it is kinda bitter sweet. i will be happier not having all the head aches and dealing with crap owning a business but still sad that what i worked so hard for is gone. any thoughts

Sorry to hear this unfortunately it is becoming a common story. I hope something changes soon.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
any thoughts
Many, but mostly, good luck in your next endeavor, and Godspeed!

I always liked electricity. I hate business.
Money screws up everything.
Agreed, agreed, and agreed (but it makes misery more fun.)

I hate electricity itself. It hurts.

I like controlling it, though.
That's an illusion, kinda like being in control of cats. ;)

Sorry to hear this unfortunately it is becoming a common story. I hope something changes soon.
Really. I'm a worse employee than I am a boss.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I lived in Lockport and Brookfield when I was kneehigh and I could talk the girls into about anything.

Cousins husband was a union electrician in the 70s in that area. He quit & went to work for a golf course...said he could make more money as a local pro. Chance of that?

GUNNING

New beginnings!

New beginnings!

One door closes another one opens.

i remembering leaving my first job as a lead journeyman. I was angry burned out and sick (sore throat runny nose etc.) It was 10 am and I was driving home.

By noon I was relaxed, sore throat and runny nose GONE, and I was happy. The knotted shoulders were gone. I could breath without my gut hurting and my brain twitching. All this in two hours, it was a miracle.

I had a new door to walk through and I felt good.

Give yourself permission to let go, and enjoy the freedom. It's wasn't you, it just is. You have a world of transferable experiences if you want, or go look for something new. Life will be fun again, enjoy it.

stevenje

One door closes another one opens.

i remembering leaving my first job as a lead journeyman. I was angry burned out and sick (sore throat runny nose etc.) It was 10 am and I was driving home.

By noon I was relaxed, sore throat and runny nose GONE, and I was happy. The knotted shoulders were gone. I could breath without my gut hurting and my brain twitching. All this in two hours, it was a miracle.

I had a new door to walk through and I felt good.

Give yourself permission to let go, and enjoy the freedom. It's wasn't you, it just is. You have a world of transferable experiences if you want, or go look for something new. Life will be fun again, enjoy it.

Great words of wisdom Gunning!

hurk27

My case was just the opposite, last year the company that I have worked for over 26 years, had to shut its doors, with no retirement or anything else saved up, and the fact in 2007 I purchased a new home, car, and had just got married in 2009, at 53 and 37 years in the trade, I have to keep going somehow, no other contractors in the area even hiring and even the one or two that is wants young bucks that can turn out houses fast for a much lower wage than I can afford to work for, and since I held most of the licenses for my old company I figured to try to take a stab again at contracting, staying small, just myself, doing service work, motor control, and other small job's, but this winter has been very bad, 23" of snow stalled what little work that was going, and the roller coaster ride bottom has got very deep now, but I did just landed a few small jobs, but I'm still not sure if I can even fund them, I do have a loyal following from my old company who has sent me a lot of work that has got me this far, just being at the bottom of the ride has been taking its toll, I have a ton of work opening up as soon as the ground thaws, and if I can get back ahead, I'll be packing as much away in the bank as I can to try to smooth out this up and down ride.

Even though it wasn't my own company, my heart sank really low the day I found out we were closing the doors, never felt such a lost feeling of not being secured in a very very long time as I did that day. So my prayers are with you also.

Nium

Steve Jobs co-founder of Apple computers was forced to resign from Apple in the early '80's. He then went on to found Pixar.

Even though at first adversity may not seem like an opportunity it can be, just in disguise.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I always liked electricity. I hate business.
Money screws up everything.

I know EXACTLY what you are saying.

I owned several businesses since the mid 70's and found it to be incredibly stressful. I remember getting out of bed at 2 AM and going down to the shop because I couldn't remember if I locked the door or not. It was hard to have a conversation without talking about work and I know people got sick of hearing it. I worked many weeks for no pay because customers would stiff me for the work I did. Many weeks my employees took home more money than I did.

Once I realized that I was not born to run a business and got into the apprenticeship I found out what it was like to have a job I enjoyed that I could leave at work, I was never happier to go to work.

No way would I ever consider owning another business. At least in Michigan.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
It's no consolation now but later you will realize how much you learned, this disaster will help your career in the long run, sorry for what you're going through.

SBuck

My case was just the opposite, last year the company that I have worked for over 26 years, had to shut its doors, with no retirement or anything else saved up, and the fact in 2007 I purchased a new home, car, and had just got married in 2009, at 53 and 37 years in the trade, I have to keep going somehow, no other contractors in the area even hiring and even the one or two that is wants young bucks that can turn out houses fast for a much lower wage than I can afford to work for, and since I held most of the licenses for my old company I figured to try to take a stab again at contracting, staying small, just myself, doing service work, motor control, and other small job's, but this winter has been very bad, 23" of snow stalled what little work that was going, and the roller coaster ride bottom has got very deep now, but I did just landed a few small jobs, but I'm still not sure if I can even fund them, I do have a loyal following from my old company who has sent me a lot of work that has got me this far, just being at the bottom of the ride has been taking its toll, I have a ton of work opening up as soon as the ground thaws, and if I can get back ahead, I'll be packing as much away in the bank as I can to try to smooth out this up and down ride.

Even though it wasn't my own company, my heart sank really low the day I found out we were closing the doors, never felt such a lost feeling of not being secured in a very very long time as I did that day. So my prayers are with you also.

You really should stop buy bank with a plan and company organized. The SBA is giving out money, I have bills out my rear, but I organized a LLC and went to the bank and they are going to give me 25000 as a line of credit. This will allow me to fund payroll. All you can do is try.

Status
Not open for further replies.