86v Knob and Tube Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg2000

Hi, I'm trying to figure out some mystery knob and tube wiring which is behind walls and ceilings. I'm accessing this all from the garage / crawl space. If you look at the diagram the points of entry into the garage are shown as black dots. There are 3 places from the garage where knob and tube comes down from the floor above. Now here's the issue with:

orange circuit ON

red circuit OFF

I read 86v between the knob and tube hot and the hot of the red. There's a volt meter on the diagram showing where I'm measuring. When I got the house these two wires were connected and the upstairs lights all works. With them disconnected only the top floor lights work.

That make no sense to me at all. Basically I'm looking for any ideas on where 86v could be coming from? Any suggestions on how to fault find this and what to do would be much appreciated, Chris

Diagram:

Electrical-Plan-mystery.jpg

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs. Engineers are welcome to participate, but only if their questions do not involve attempts to perform their own electrical installation, troubleshooting, or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.