Meter socket neutral connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohms277

I am replacing main disconnects on each building of an apartment project. There are meters after the disconnect. The POCO requires a #6 ground to the meters socket's neutral connection point. This neutral bar is bolted straight into the meter socket case, and is not isolated in any way. If I bond the grounding electode conductor to the neutral with the green screw in the main disconnect, do I now have a paralel path? Is not the POCO's requirement against the NEC? The AHJ says the POCO is not in compliance with the NEC. The POCO will not energize the service without the above. I reach out to your collective wisdom, to gather ammuntion.

HEYDOG

I can not find specifically where this is addressed in the code. You would have a similar situation if you installed a metal nipple between the meter can and the service panel. I have seen inspectors require what you are talking about in certain areas. I would look at article 250.92. Also if you look in 250.6. I have seen it done don't know for sure if it meets code requirements.

ohms277

Every service that uses metal pipe between the disconnect and a meter has a parallel path.

True enough, however, since I have bonded at the main disconnect shouldn't the neutral in the meter socket be isolated? In the event that the neutral is ever lost, would not the ground carry any fault current, and thereby energizing all metal pipe, enclosures, raceways, etc? In addition, there are 8 meter cans feeding 8 disconnects with a 4 wire ser cable feeding a sub panel in each apartment, all downstream from the main disconnect.

iwire

Staff member
The AHJ says the POCO is not in compliance with the NEC.

The AHJ needs to read.

250.142 Use of Grounded Circuit Conductor for
Grounding Equipment.

(B) Load-Side Equipment.

Exception No. 2: It shall be permissible to ground meter
enclosures by connection to the grounded circuit conductor
on the load side of the service disconnect where all of the
following conditions apply:

(1) No service ground-fault protection is installed.

(2) All meter enclosures are located immediately adjacent
to the service disconnecting means.

(3) The size of the grounded circuit conductor is not
smaller than the size specified in Table 250.122 for
equipment grounding conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.