Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum service drop height.

Minimum service drop height.

I'm trying to get a good GC customer of mine to set an eyebolt for me on a change out he want's done next week. I am out of town and don't have access to my NEC. What it the minimum drop height over a residential driveway? We are trying to avoid setting a 2.5" mast through the roof if possible.
    Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. But still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

12' over residential property and driveways

Here is the article-- depending on the length and where it is fed from , the point of attachment may need to be higher.

230.24(B) Vertical Clearance for Service-Drop Conductors. Service-drop conductors, where not in excess of 600 volts, nominal, shall have the following minimum clearance from final grade:
    (1) 3.0 m (10 ft) — at the electrical service entrance to buildings, also at the lowest point of the drip loop of the building electrical entrance, and above areas or sidewalks accessible only to pedestrians, measured from final grade or other accessible surface only for service-drop cables supported on and cabled together with a grounded bare messenger where the voltage does not exceed 150 volts to ground
    (2) 3.7 m (12 ft) — over residential property and driveways, and those commercial areas not subject to truck traffic where the voltage does not exceed 300 volts to ground
    (3) 4.5 m (15 ft) — for those areas listed in the 3.7-m (12-ft) classification where the voltage exceeds 300 volts to ground
    (4) 5.5 m (18 ft) — over public streets, alleys, roads, parking areas subject to truck traffic, driveways on other than residential property, and other land such as cultivated, grazing, forest, and orchard
    Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 03-06-12 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Here is the article-- depending on the length and where it is fed from , the point of attachment may need to be higher.
    Thanks, I'll have him put the eye near the peak. This builder doesn't like to penetrate roofs unless absolutely necessary.
    Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. But still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Is this wire under the NEC or the NESC jurisdiction? It could range from 15.5 ft to 10.5 ft under special conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by masterinbama View Post
    This builder doesn't like to penetrate roofs unless absolutely necessary.

Does anyone?

" I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

Quote Originally Posted by Hv&Lv View Post
    Is this wire under the NEC or the NESC jurisdiction? It could range from 15.5 ft to 10.5 ft under special conditions.

It is my responsibility to provide an attachment point on my end that will maintain code minimums. If the POCO chooses to do otherwise on their end it's their problem.

I just wasn't sure if the eye bolt near the peak of the roof would give me code clearance over the customers driveway. Being a small project to begin with the small errors become huge burdens on the bottom line.

Try this link : http://www.pseg.com/business/builder...lecSvc2005.pdf .

Go to Exhibit 1 pages A5 & A-6. Wish I knew how to cut and paste from this PDF. Anyway, this is pretty general info for most POCOS (at least in my area)

You may have to use the scroll + and - , or ctrl + or - to see this enough.

Thanks for posting that illustration Dennis......that was always a good one.

Question.........is there a pseg in your neck of the woods or did you grab it for reference?
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman