Residential Rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I'm gettig flack from a GC that I bid a residential rehab for, he's saying I'm out of line on my price by almost a grand. House is 1150 sq ft(gutted to the studs)AC,electric range and a 100A sub feed to an existing remote building. Sub feed wiring is 15' #1 SE cable run to a j-box. There are (4) paddle fans with light kits and (11) H7ICT cans .The rest is basic wiring with (3) sets of 3 way switches, (8) single pole switches and receps per code. Service is 200A Homeline 30/40 and 4/0AL 18' to weatherhead. Wirin from socket to panel is 4' 2/0 CU in 2"PVC. My bid was $5200.00. BTW, 240V runs are 40' each 8/3, 10/2, and 12/2. Thanks for any replies. I'm trying to get my foot in the door with this company, they do several of
these size jobs a year in my area and thought I was giving a fair price. Any thoughts? BTW this is in Mid Michigan where the economy still is terrible.

ceb58

I'm gettig flack from a GC that I bid a residential rehab for, he's saying I'm out of line on my price by almost a grand. House is 1150 sq ft(gutted to the studs)AC,electric range and a 100A sub feed to an existing remote building. Sub feed wiring is 15' #1 SE cable run to a j-box. There are (4) paddle fans with light kits and (11) H7ICT cans .The rest is basic wiring with (3) sets of 3 way switches, (8) single pole switches and receps per code. Service is 200A Homeline 30/40 and 4/0AL 18' to weatherhead. Wirin from socket to panel is 4' 2/0 CU in 2"PVC. My bid was $5200.00. BTW, 240V runs are 40' each 8/3, 10/2, and 12/2. Thanks for any replies. I'm trying to get my foot in the door with this company, they do several of
these size jobs a year in my area and thought I was giving a fair price. Any thoughts? BTW this is in Mid Michigan where the economy still is terrible.

Just off the top I would be higher than you. He is just using the slow work to beat you over the head.

growler

I'm gettig flack from a GC that I bid a residential rehab for, he's saying I'm out of line on my price by almost a grand. House is 1150 sq ft(gutted to the studs). My bid was $5200.00.

Is this a labor only bid with materials furnished or do you have to furnish any of the materials.
If you have to furnish any material then figure out how much this will cost and then see what's left for labor. You should have a pretty good idea how much time it will take for labor so you can determine if it's even possible.

The problem with GCs is that on little jobs like this they still bid them by the square foot and that doesn't work for electrical because the service, kitchen and HVAC are about the same for a small house as a large one. If you add a thousand SQ Ft to the house and it's bedrooms that the cheap space to wire.

I think your price is more than fair but that doesn't help any because I'm not a GC and I'm not even bidding against you.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you're giving a price to a GC your price is always too high. You're not allowed to make any $$, only he can make $$.

I once bid to a GC who complained about his current electrician - he's never on the job when you need him, doesn't return calls, works too slow, etc. I forget the exact details of the job but my price was around $14K for a new residential job. He came back and said his guy was doing the jobs for around $6K. I told him to quit complaining about the EC, pick him up in a limo, take him out to dinner and then drive him home and tuck him into bed. My price might be a bit high but I didn't make an $8K mistake.

CopperTone

just finished a 2200 sq ft house - $22,000 - lots of recessed lights
just finshed a 2400 sq ft house - $23,000 - not a lot of recessed but add a 2 car garage

both were 200amp underground services

just finished a 6000 sq ft house - $33,000 - tons of recessed lights and 400 amp underground service

No complaints from the GC's on my pricing.

I think the OP's price is low - but what do I know?

ITO

Rehab is so PC...

Rehab is so PC...

Tell him due to copper prices going up, that your price is only good for 14 days and go find some work you don't have to give away.

satcom

He is right the price wrong it is low
Many of the guys out there have no idea what is high or low they were a handyman last job and now the think they are a GC let this guy go back to day dreams and move on to someone that is willing to pay

nizak

I'm sticking with my original bid, if he want's it done a grand cheaper I'm certain a couple of phone calls will get him his wish. He may get a surprise when it comes time to trim out the job and the cheaper guy just can't seem to get back to it.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
What's this guy's reputation? Do his subs like working with him? Does he pay on time? Does he finish properly around your boxes? Does he take care not to cut your wires or bury your boxes? If he's good about these & other issues, consider giving him a better deal. You say work is thin there.

OTH if he slops up your work, calls for trimouts before ready, blames subs for any problems, stick to your guns & get your price. You have to work for aggravating customers sometimes, but hopefully you don't have to also give them your best rates.

muskrat

What's this guy's reputation? Do his subs like working with him? Does he pay on time? Does he finish properly around your boxes? Does he take care not to cut your wires or bury your boxes? If he's good about these & other issues, consider giving him a better deal. You say work is thin there.

OTH if he slops up your work, calls for trimouts before ready, blames subs for any problems, stick to your guns & get your price. You have to work for aggravating customers sometimes, but hopefully you don't have to also give them your best rates.

Did work for a GC that i always tacked on 5% to the bid for just those reasons or add-ons, changes to the print, lead carpenter or "expeditor"with a better plan, etc.

Did work for a GC that always got 5% deduct (for cash) and because he was right there with any problems during construct.(some I charged for, some not), defered to me when doing lay-out with HO, etc, all the little things but they add up.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'm sticking with my original bid, if he want's it done a grand cheaper I'm certain a couple of phone calls will get him his wish. He may get a surprise when it comes time to trim out the job and the cheaper guy just can't seem to get back to it.

That would be funny if he called you down the road, desperate because he couldn't get the guy back. then you could charge T/M because you have no idea what the other guy put in or whether you will have to rework a lot of it.

A former boss got burned badly by a convenience store manager. Called him on Sat that something was burning. Boss got over, made him safe for wk/end, made notes. I walked in Mon am, he was getting material prices. He called mgr, gave price. We got materials, rode over. He met us at the door, told boss "his cousin" got same job done for $500 (less than our materials), demanded we come down.
Boss argued with him that we'd had wire cut & he gave him price, he kept arguing for lower price. Wouldn't pay for mtls either. That hurt, wire couldn't be returned, was our main cost. A year later, we found out the man had to pay someone else nearly double to fix the problem. Some poetic justice at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.