MH and the NJATC...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icefalkon

Has anyone had any issues with using Mikes books to teach Journeymen and the NJATC not liking it? Just curious...

icefalkon

We have been using MH's books for the journeyman level classes as they have had more information tailored to the needs of the class. I just wondered if the NJATC has had issue with using his books in the past.

vanvan

I went thru an NJATC program and in my opinion MH books would be an absolute blessing! Seems most of the books I recieved were put out by the NJATC, and though informative, there were lots of issues with them (mistakes). I still have them and use them for ref tentatively. The format in the MH books, along with the pictures, makes them far better/easier to learn from. I have no idea what it costs the NJATC to print and pub thier own books vs. what they make on selling them to the students, but I guess it is profitable.
The Soares book on grounding is the only book that I recieved that I truly feel is a great book and it's not one of thier pubs.
Not trying to be down on the NJATC, but I just feel if you want to turn out the best electricians based on education/skill you have got to get the best info to the students/journeymen.

icefalkon

Agreed Van...the NJATC is the governing body for apprentices in the IBEW. My question was pointed towards instructors in Locals that teach Journeyman classes.

knoppdude

I went thru an NJATC program and in my opinion MH books would be an absolute blessing! Seems most of the books I recieved were put out by the NJATC, and though informative, there were lots of issues with them (mistakes). I still have them and use them for ref tentatively. The format in the MH books, along with the pictures, makes them far better/easier to learn from. I have no idea what it costs the NJATC to print and pub thier own books vs. what they make on selling them to the students, but I guess it is profitable.
The Soares book on grounding is the only book that I recieved that I truly feel is a great book and it's not one of thier pubs.
Not trying to be down on the NJATC, but I just feel if you want to turn out the best electricians based on education/skill you have got to get the best info to the students/journeymen.

Agreed, although we had a few very good books, such as Mileaf electricity 1-7, Mike Holts books would have gone much further in explaining code applications, and calculations, and I wish we had used them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.