Power Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
The Power Company cannot guarantee that they can provide power in the next minute, next hour, or next day. The duration of electric power from the PoCo is temporary also.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

???

When the PoCo doesn't restore in 90 days, think Katrina, all I have to do is unplug and replug the inlet, and 'viola, a new connection has been made. The clock is reset.

I do not agree with you.

590.3 Time Constraints.

(A) During the Period of Construction. Temporary electric
power and lighting installations shall be permitted during
the period of construction, remodeling, maintenance,
repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or
similar activities.

IMO the above section does not apply to a power failures.

(B) 90 Days. Temporary electric power and lighting installations
shall be permitted for a period not to exceed 90 days
for holiday decorative lighting and similar purposes.

and neither does that section.

However IMO this section does ....

(C) Emergencies and Tests. Temporary electric power and
lighting installations shall be permitted during emergencies
and for tests, experiments, and developmental work.

Who determines what an emergency is and when it is over?

IMO when push comes to shove the AHJ does.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That is the way you use the equipment you make. The PowerBridge is specifically shown to be used by connecting directly to an existing receptacle. In the instruction sheet, the use of a UPS is shown to be optional.
If I couldn't fish a cable, I'd come out of the wall at the baseboard, run along it to a chase with a receptacle, and cover the cable with Wiremold.

In the old days, they'd remove the baseboard and lay the cable behind it. I've done that, as well as behind crown mold, for horizontal cable runs.

I've also run coax and speaker wire behind quarter-round, but it's too likely for power cabling to get punctured by finishing nails, so I don't do that.

mivey

So, you agree that indirect powering, say by a surge or UPS, is okay?
That is one of the areas I am waffling on. At least the UPS has some kind of additional protection.

Iwire and others have said to use a hard-wired UPS. To be completely honest, I doubt I would use a hard-wired UPS if I had a wall-mount. The only way I would have done it up to now would be with a surface cable management system or a small surge device.

FWIW, none of my TV sets have a UPS because I don't plan to watch TV if the lights go out anyway.

Now I haven't decided what I would do.

iwire

Staff member
If I couldn't fish a cable, I'd come out of the wall at the baseboard, run along it to a chase with a receptacle, and cover the cable with Wiremold.

In the old days, they'd remove the baseboard and lay the cable behind it. I've done that, as well as behind crown mold, for horizontal cable runs.

I've also run coax and speaker wire behind quarter-round, but it's too likely for power cabling to get punctured by finishing nails, so I don't do that.

Larry .......... what does any of that have to do with the question raised in this thread? :confused:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my opinion there is no code compliant way to do that.
One could always as one's inspector (if it's getting inspected.)

Do it right and use a hard wired UPS.
Obviously, "right" is in the eyes of the beholder, so:

Code aside, do you honestly see any electrical issue with it (presuming correct cord size)?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
power failures.

Who determines what an emergency is and when it is over?

IMO when push comes to shove the AHJ does.
What's "emergency" got to do with it.

The PoCo will guarantee any minute of any day that they will not be able to provide power at any moment in the future.

Power outages from the PoCo are normal occurrences. . .
The PoCo guarantee that I cannot depend upon their power is normal. . .
It is hardly an emergency unless I attach a value to a specific source of power, and am bereft without that particular source, going into withdrawal crisis.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Larry .......... what does any of that have to do with the question raised in this thread? :confused:
It was in response to:
The PowerBridge is specifically shown to be used by connecting directly to an existing receptacle.

I would not condone plugging a cord and inlet directly into an existing premises receptacle. In that case, the cable should be fished and hard-wired directly at an outlet or junction.

Added: The purpose of the inlet (in my view) is to power the TV other than directly from a receptacle. The direct plug-in use is just an excuse for laziness.

Last edited:
That is one of the areas I am waffling on. At least the UPS has some kind of additional protection.
So is this is an issue of additional protection making this acceptable? I missed that somewhere.
Iwire and others have said to use a hard-wired UPS. To be completely honest, I doubt I would use a hard-wired UPS if I had a wall-mount. The only way I would have done it up to now would be with a surface cable management system or a small surge device.
So, then you're okay with using an extension cord plugged into a UPS/Surge and installed in a semi-permanent method inside surface track moulding running up the wall instead of an outlet wired with ROMEX to an Inlet?
Isn't this suggestion the same use of a cord as used with the PowerBridge? IMO it is., just not as an elegant way to do it.
FWIW, none of my TV sets have a UPS because I don't plan to watch TV if the lights go out anyway.
You would not need UPS for a flat screen TV, it serves no purpose. Install a LCD bulb-type projector, you need UPS to allow power to shut down to cool the device to protect the bulb from damage.
Simple! Install a PowerBridge! Okay, not suppose to promote products, sorry!

I'm not understanding the multi-quote feature, I'm a newbie. I did the indent and blue.

mivey

I'm not understanding the multi-quote feature, I'm a newbie. I did the indent and blue.
Using the { instead of the [ so the software will display:

{QUOTE=PowerBridgeTech;1292996}I'm not understanding the multi-quote feature, I'm a newbie. I did the indent and blue.{/QUOTE}

Can be edited to look like:

{QUOTE=PowerBridgeTech;1292996}I'm not understanding the multi-quote feature, I'm a newbie.{/quote}

{QUOTE=PowerBridgeTech;1292996} I did the indent and blue.{/QUOTE}

So you can type stuff in between portions.

mivey

PowerBridgeTech said:
mivey said:
So is this is an issue of additional protection making this acceptable? I missed that somewhere.
No. But it might cause me less heartache. I really don't see the PowerBridge as an unsafe device (at least no more of a risk than other stuff we have). What concerns me is the hackability and whether or not it complies with the NEC (regardless of what the ETL report might look like).

PowerBridgeTech said:
mivey said:
So, then you're okay with using an extension cord plugged into a UPS/Surge and installed in a semi-permanent method inside surface track moulding running up the wall instead of an outlet wired with ROMEX to an Inlet?
Isn't this suggestion the same use of a cord as used with the PowerBridge? IMO it is., just not as an elegant way to do it.
I did not say I would put it inside of a moulding but I would use a cable management system to bundle the cables. I agree the PowerBridge is the neatest way to do it.

PowerBridgeTech said:
mivey said:
You would not need UPS for a flat screen TV, it serves no purpose. Install a LCD bulb-type projector, you need UPS to allow power to shut down to cool the device to protect the bulb from damage.
True enough.

PowerBridgeTech said:
mivey said:
Simple! Install a PowerBridge! Okay, not suppose to promote products, sorry!
:grin:

mivey

My last post (using "{" for "[" )was:

{quote=PowerBridgeTech}{quote=mivey}That is one of the areas I am waffling on. At least the UPS has some kind of additional protection.{/quote}
So is this is an issue of additional protection making this acceptable? I missed that somewhere. {/quote}No. But it might cause me less heartache. I really don't see the PowerBridge as an unsafe device (at least no more of a risk than other stuff we have). What concerns me is the hackability and whether or not it complies with the NEC (regardless of what the ETL report might look like).

{quote=PowerBridgeTech}{quote=mivey}Iwire and others have said to use a hard-wired UPS. To be completely honest, I doubt I would use a hard-wired UPS if I had a wall-mount. The only way I would have done it up to now would be with a surface cable management system or a small surge device.{/quote}
Isn't this suggestion the same use of a cord as used with the PowerBridge? IMO it is., just not as an elegant way to do it.{/quote}I did not say I would put it inside of a moulding but I would use a cable management system to bundle the cables. I agree the PowerBridge is the neatest way to do it.

{quote=PowerBridgeTech}{quote=mivey}FWIW, none of my TV sets have a UPS because I don't plan to watch TV if the lights go out anyway.{/quote}
You would not need UPS for a flat screen TV, it serves no purpose. Install a LCD bulb-type projector, you need UPS to allow power to shut down to cool the device to protect the bulb from damage.{/quote}True enough.

{quote=PowerBridgeTech}{quote=mivey}Now I haven't decided what I would do.{/quote}
Simple! Install a PowerBridge! Okay, not suppose to promote products, sorry!{/quote}:grin:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Obviously, "right" is in the eyes of the beholder, so:
No right is what the code requires.
Code aside, do you honestly see any electrical issue with it (presuming correct cord size)?
It would depend on the installation, but in general it is no worse than the actual appliance cord, but we are not talking about the real world here...we are talking about the NEC world...sometimes they are galaxies apart;)

300? Really.

We'll never make it.

:roll:

So, here we are, one week later, over 320 posts, nearly 6000 views, we even earned 5 GOLD Stars!
I have no idea if that is good or it means we've officially launched into Space.

Have we beat this ol'Horse to death yet?
It appears no matter what the Code references exist to allow, there is just as many to claim to not. I imagine the reason PowerBridge didn't propose to the Board several years ago was just this, no one can agree, but to disagree.

I think I've stated my "peace" with our bias to cite reference to installation in several sections for the individual listed components.
I've found myself repeating the same thing and each time is disallowed to the same reason and even with the same Code article. :confused:

What more is there to agree to disagree to? Shall we call it a draw? and let the moderators take a well deserved rest from this thread. :cool:

No. But it might cause me less heartache. I really don't see the PowerBridge as an unsafe device (at least no more of a risk than other stuff we have). What concerns me is the hackability and whether or not it complies with the NEC (regardless of what the ETL report might look like).

I did not say I would put it inside of a moulding but I would use a cable management system to bundle the cables. I agree the PowerBridge is the neatest way to do it.

True enough.

:grin:

Thank you for the detailed "how to" appreciated! I'll test it out sometime.

Your view point is duly noted.
"Hackability"? Sorry you feel the product is "hack". That stings, ouch!
Can't argue against your bias with anything else, I'm outta bullets. Or I need a bigger gun. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.