intermixing diffrent manufactored cord ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillip bridges

Problem: working in a Data center and noticing a lot of the 30 amp 250 volt PDUs purchased for the switching cabinets are foreign made. The twist lock cord plugs are marked L6-30p, but the actual blades of the plugs are slightly different in thickness. When plugged into a HBL2623 or Leviton cord L6-30r the plugs seems that they do not mate tightly, when twisted and locked in, as compared to using/intermixing Hubbell and or leviton cord ends. We have had a few PDU cord ends heat up,discolor, and i'm questioning the physical characteristics of the PDU cord end.
Question: is there any MFG directions that discourage intermixing different MFG components / or any NEC issues. Has any one have had the same issue?
Thanks

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
All L6-30P, L6-30R, L6-30C connectors should interchange just fine according to their UL listing.

Sounds like you have counterfeit non-UL approved connectors. It might have the UL mark, but,.....

Talk with the purchasing agent and tell him about the fire danger.:eek:hmy:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
They should interchange without issue. I would suggest reaching out to the NRTL that listed the PDU to investigate. Most NRTL's are very cooperative with these kinds of issues.

Craigv

I've done a fair bit of pro audio work in my day. The past 20 years or so have seen a LOT of counterfeit Chinese-made cord ends for all manner of audio cabling. The good ones are okay, the bad ones are far off spec. I have little doubt there's sufficient market for cord and plug gear to be counterfeited as well.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If molded onto the cord, the mfr and identifying info of the assembly should allow you to look for it in UL’s on-line data base to make sure it is actually there and matches the description in the UL file. If the cord cap was attached by the PRU maker, the same info should be on or inside of the cord cap.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/quickguide.html

Status
Not open for further replies.