Parallel Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

Can we parallel 1 conductor of a feeder and not the others?

Example 1: 400 amp 3-phase feeder with 2 x 600mcm THWN copper and 1-set of parallel THWN 4/0 copper in same raceway for ungrounded phases with full size grounded conductor and correctly sized EGC per 250.122?

Example 2: 400 amp 3-phase feeder with 3 x 600mcm copper THWN ungrounded phase conductors and 1-200% neutral in parallel with correctly sized EGC per 250.122?

310.10(H) does not seem to prohibit paralleling 1 conductor?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You only need to ensure that each phase has the same size parallel conductors. For example: A phase could be parallel 600's, phase B could be parallel #3/0's and phase C parallel 500's.

nickelec

Being that the ungrounded conductors for each phase need to be ran in the same conduit it would be kind of odd to see 1 600 MCM + 2 4/0 in 1pipe and the same in the other two
You can't run phase A in one conduit phase B in the next and face C in the next

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nickelec

It may not be a violation but would definitely make you scratch your head if you seen it on site

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It may not be a violation but would definitely make you scratch your head if you seen it on site

I don't think one would scratch too long to figure it out. They may wonder why but one will figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.