10 circuit generator Transfer panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
I was wandering if some one else has installed one of the Reliance 10 Circuit Generator Panels before. My Question is that these panels do not have arc fault capabilities on the generator side . Would this application be code compliant . The model # is R30310B.

Thanks

360Youth

My initial reaction is to say no it is not. But since these switches are generally supplied by portable, temporary power, there may be an exception, because the applicable circuits are still on arc-fault while on utility power. You would need to find if such an exception is there, or, if by definition, temporary power does require arc-fault.

ceb58

My initial reaction is to say no it is not. But since these switches are generally supplied by portable, temporary power, there may be an exception, because the applicable circuits are still on arc-fault while on utility power. You would need to find if such an exception is there, or, if by definition, temporary power does require arc-fault.

No, they will be on all the time. The ATS has a utility feed from the main panel to the entire ATS just like a sub panel. If they require AFCI it is just a matter of changing the breaker. The Generac ATS switches like this carry a C-H breaker.

360Youth

No, they will be on all the time. The ATS has a utility feed from the main panel to the entire ATS just like a sub panel. If they require AFCI it is just a matter of changing the breaker. The Generac ATS switches like this carry a C-H breaker.

Not the case with this switch, unless I'm missing something. The circuits are fed individually from each breaker. On utility, they will be AFCI, if applicable, and on standby, they will be on whatever protection the portable offers. Assuming it is portable. I have actually installed these on a permanently mounted genset.

R30310B_500.jpg

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you stop and think about this for a moment, the neutral for an arc fault circuit is terminated on the arc fault breaker itself. When using one of these generator panels, the generator neutral is back-fed onto the neutral bar of the breaker panel. When you move the individual transfer switch to the generator position it switches the phase leg from the arc fault breaker to the branch circuit breaker on the generator panel. Will this circuit still function properly ?

Another wierd thought, these generator panels are usually used for short term, emergency purposes. If the arc fault breaker in the main panel hasn't tripped due to an arcing condition in the last 3 years or so, what are the chances that this particular circuit would suddenly and mysteriously develop an arcing problem while on generator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.