gas engine vs electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

My dad has a hydraulic wood splitter that he would like to operate inside his pole barn. It is currently set up with a 5hp 4 cycle gas engine and a 2 stage hydraulic pump. Would anyone here know what size electric motor would be required to give the same performance as the gas engine? I'm not 100% certain but i believe the rpm of the gas engine is around 3600, aren't most electric motors 1750? Shaft size, coupling, and mounting are not a concern just would like to know if something like this would be possible to do. Power source would be 240V AC single phase. Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
Many times I have noticed that an item that can come with either a gas or electric motor will use a larger gas motor than an electric. I can remember seeing things with either a 5HP gas or 3HP electric.

That aside if it was me I would order a 3600 RPM 5 HP electric motor to make sure it had enough power and there is no way I would want to cut the speed in half.

G._S._Ohm

a 5hp engine
what size electric motor would be required to give the same performance as the gas engine?

This question has come up before on other forums.
Best way is to ask several splitter manufacturers, they almost certainly know this answer.
Next best is to look at torque-speed curves for this particular engine and try to match the motor's curve at the RPM you need. The curves will be shaped quite differently.
Last way is to Websearch similar machines that offer both options, and plot a graph of engine hp vs. motor hp and motor type offered for each. Eyeballing the graph will tell you what size motor you need and also how much variation there is in doing this exchange.

Too high RPM will shorten the life of the splitter by overheating.

hp always equals RPM x torque/5252

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
This question has come up before on other forums.
Best way is to ask several splitter manufacturers, they almost certainly know this answer.
Next best is to look at torque-speed curves for this particular engine and try to match the motor's curve at the RPM you need. The curves will be shaped quite differently.
Last way is to Websearch similar machines that offer both options, and plot a graph of engine hp vs. motor hp and motor type offered for each. Eyeballing the graph will tell you what size motor you need and also how much variation there is in doing this exchange.

You must be the wild one at parties.

ceb58

Friend of mine built his own log splitter and used a 5hp 240v elect. motor. I ask him why he did not use a gas engine because he had several setting around. he smiled and said " this way every one in the country wont want to borrow the thing. They have no where to plug it in";)

G._S._Ohm

You must be the wild one at parties.

Used to be. I'd drink their booze, eat their food, steal their women and leave.

How's this?
I'd drink/eat/steal
their
booze/food/women
and
leave.

Just don't mix up any words from the first line. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.