Tamper resistant receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Sorry guys I know this might be a pretty basic question but now that we are now just adopting the 2008, I have to ask.

Are tamper resistant receptacles required everywhere in residential, including above counter tops and garage door openers? I do not see any exceptions.

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Sorry guys I know this might be a pretty basic question but now that we are now just adopting the 2008, I have to ask.

Are tamper resistant receptacles required everywhere in residential, including above counter tops and garage door openers? I do not see any exceptions.

Thanks

Yes they are.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Thanks Bob, that's what I came up with just wanted to verify.

I did see the changes in the 2011, that would eliminate the garage door opener and possibly the laundry circuit, but it also added some locations though not in residential.

iwire

Staff member
This could be debatable, but 210.52(E) covers detached garages so they are an area specified in 210.52.

406.11 states that all areas specified in 210.52 shall have tamper resistant receptacles.

The NEC is a wonderful thing, I agree debatable :grin:

406.11 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling
Units
In all areas specified in 210.52, all 125-volt, 15-
and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamperresistant
receptacles.

A detached garge is not a dwelling unit .... usually.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

I concur, debatable.

True, but 210-52.G mentions detached garages with power.
So now, I think maybe tamper proof receptacles are required.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
This could be debatable, but 210.52(E) covers detached garages so they are an area specified in 210.52.

406.11 states that all areas specified in 210.52 shall have tamper resistant receptacles.

Chris

I think you meant 210-52 (G)

raider1

Staff member

Section 210.52 is Titled "Dwelling unit receptacle outlets" and does cover those receptacles that are located in a detached garage that is accessory to a dwelling unit, so it could be argued that a detached garage is accessory to a dwelling unit and because it is covered by 210.52 it would be included in the requirements of 406.11.

Chris

CopperTone

instead of debating the TR code - we simply install TR receptacles for anything residential - using the 2008.

I think I just saw the 2011 code refer to receptacles over 5 1/2 ft off the floor to not be required to be TR in residential. We will continue to install TR everywhere - even replacements - it is easier than debating. We don't even carry non TR residential receptacles on our trucks. if it is residential - even an outhouse, dog house, or chicken coop - TR (this is just us though)

One possible exception - we install surge protected receptacles for flat screen tv's. The ones we get are not TR - so if we install them at least 5 1/2 ft off the floor - we may continue to use those.

earlejohnson

instead of debating the TR code - we simply install TR receptacles for anything residential - using the 2008.

I think I just saw the 2011 code refer to receptacles over 5 1/2 ft off the floor to not be required to be TR in residential. We will continue to install TR everywhere - even replacements - it is easier than debating. We don't even carry non TR residential receptacles on our trucks. if it is residential - even an outhouse, dog house, or chicken coop - TR (this is just us though)

One possible exception - we install surge protected receptacles for flat screen tv's. The ones we get are not TR - so if we install them at least 5 1/2 ft off the floor - we may continue to use those.

Code reference please on the 5 1/2 ft.:)

raider1

Staff member
yes this is the code reference for the 5 1/2 feet above the floor

also keep reading exception 2,3,4 and 406.13, and 406.14 for non residential locations now required.

Yep, I am aware of the additional sections.

Earl just wanted the code setion for the 5-1/2' rule.;)

Chris

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Depends on where you live.:)

BTW, I believe TR's are a requirement for new construction only and not remodel work. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.