gas range causing TV issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lielec11

Lately whenever I use a certain burner on our gas range the TV in my living room goes out. I think it's actually the DirecTV box that goes out momentarily but it happens every time we start that burner. Seems like a really strange connection... any ideas?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Lately whenever I use a certain burner on our gas range the TV in my living room goes out. I think it's actually the DirecTV box that goes out momentarily but it happens every time we start that burner. Seems like a really strange connection... any ideas?

You have to pay for the "Food Network" channel or it will do that!:)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What do you mean by goes out? Power actually turns off or picture just goes black?
If the picture goes black its most likely due to a crappy HDMI cable between the DTV box and the TV.

I have no idea why only one burner would cause this and not all of them but it could put our more interference. I have seen fluorescent lights and paddle fans (when speeds are changed) cause picture dropout from bad cables.

MattS87

How old is the wiring? I may be stretching here but in my mom's old house the kitchen outlets were tied in with the living room. Whenever a small app was run the t.v would go fuzzy. Does it only happen when you ignite the burner or the whole time it is on?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a similar issue. When I turn on the master bathroom fan (it's connected to an electronic timer switch) the DirecTV receiver in the bedroom goes to snow and has to be reset. Happens about 1 in 10 times.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
I have a similar issue. When I turn on the master bathroom fan (it's connected to an electronic timer switch) the DirecTV receiver in the bedroom goes to snow and has to be reset. .

:roll: since this is an electrical forum, correct terminology should be used.
Since analog TV has gone away, 'snow' is now incorrect, the most correct term is pixillation, but confetti is also used... :eek:hmy:

Anyway, temporary digital pixilation can often be seen when spark ignition of gas ranges occurs, if ya still have a pilot light or use matches, no clue what could cause it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
... no clue what could cause it.

Apparently interference caused by the burner ignitor. Most gas ranges I see have a common system that "sparks" all burners even when you turn one burner on. So it shouldn't make a difference which burner you use. lielec11, does yours operate like that or does it maybe have individual ignition for each burner? If so I would replace the ignitor module for that burner.

I know we talked about the ignitors causing AFCIs to trip.

-Hal

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Since analog TV has gone away, 'snow' is now incorrect, the most correct term is pixillation, but confetti is also used... :eek:hmy:
"Freezing" video is another thing that happens in digital transmission, as well as "goat boy*" audio.

* Repetition of a very short snippet of audio, similar to the way the recurring Goat Boy character in old SNL sketches would speak.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Guessing the "frequency" caused by the gas igniter looks like RF from the remote telling it to turn off. Remember the packing on old CFLs saying "this may cause interference with TVs, radios, remotes..."

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

But if the signal is completely lost (and I think that's what coppersmith meant since he said he has to reset the box) you might still get snow. Just depends on the TV or monitor.

Pixilation is usually a temporary loss of signal - less than a frame - where the receiver starts re-using old data from the frame or line before it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
But if the signal is completely lost (and I think that's what coppersmith meant since he said he has to reset the box) you might still get snow. Just depends on the TV or monitor.

Pixilation is usually a temporary loss of signal - less than a frame - where the receiver starts re-using old data from the frame or line before it.

Complete loss on my TV is a total black screen. No snow. Maybe a little dust, but that wipes right off.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Complete loss on my TV is a total black screen. No snow. Maybe a little dust, but that wipes right off.

Is the TV plugged into an RF suppression surge protector or something similar? I'd try that with the TV or even stove and see if that helps.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If it only happens with that one burner and not others, you undoubtedly have separate igniters on each burner and this is a sign that the igniter on that burner is going bad. Those igniters are a little spark generator and it works by having a little transistor fire into a coil and capacitor to bump the voltage up until it jumps a gap, then the gap is in the gas stream. The firing of that transistor causes a lot of electrical noise on the line, but there are filter components in there to suppress it. Your filter components have fried. Just replace the whole assembly, you can buy them at an appliance parts store.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager

Anyway, temporary digital pixilation can often be seen when spark ignition of gas ranges occurs, if ya still have a pilot light or use matches, no clue what could cause it.
If you have digital to analog conversion happening (especially for an older television) then signal loss or disruptions can still result in "snow" can't it?

ggunn

Occupation
If you have digital to analog conversion happening (especially for an older television) then signal loss or disruptions can still result in "snow" can't it?
On an old TV with an analog tuner you will get "snow" if you tune it to a channel with no content. Some of us are old enough to remember "... and the home of the brave. SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..." :D

If you have a digital to analog converter, though, signal interruption means a black screen.

kwired

Electron manager
On an old TV with an analog tuner you will get "snow" if you tune it to a channel with no content. Some of us are old enough to remember "... and the home of the brave. SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..." :D

If you have a digital to analog converter, though, signal interruption means a black screen.
Makes sense, but all that means you are still getting an analog signal that just happens to be producing a very blank image. If you lose signal altogether after the conversion device then that leaves you tuned to a channel with no content.

ggunn

Occupation
Makes sense, but all that means you are still getting an analog signal that just happens to be producing a very blank image. If you lose signal altogether after the conversion device then that leaves you tuned to a channel with no content.
Of course. When the converter loses input signal it keeps sending the TV the last frame it received or a blank frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.