Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NM cable sleeved it conduit outdoors..

NM cable sleeved it conduit outdoors..

One of my biggest gripes is not being able to sleeve NM on the side of a house.. you must use UF cable..

Hv&Lv posted this link on another thread and it gives the specs for NM from Southwire.. http://www.southwire.com/products/Ro...TypeNMBOEM.htm

Southwire’s Romex® SIMpull® Type NM-B (non-metallic sheathed cable) may be used for both exposed and concealed work in normally dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90°C (with ampacity limited to that for 60°C conductors) as specified in the National Electrical Code1 NM-B cable is primarily used in residential wiring as branch circuits for outlets, switches, and other loads. NM-B cable may be run in air voids of masonry block or tile walls where such walls are not subject to excessive moisture or dampness. Voltage rating for NM-B cable is 600 volts.

IMO NM sleeved in PVC with sill plates caulked on both ends fits the description of "normally dry location" and "not subject to excessive moisture or dampness"..

So what do you guys think..
    Last edited by B4T; 03-16-12 at 07:23 PM.

what about condensation on the interior of the conduit, the air inside will warm up with the ambient temp
    IMO the air in the conduit will not cool as fast as the ambient air thus making the interior of conduit a damp location, but its JMO

I believe you may still have a water or moisture within the PVC no matter how well it gets sealed.

If the conduit is in a wet location, then per the code rule the inside of that conduit is a wet location.
    300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Abovegrade. Where raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet locations abovegrade shall comply with 310.10(C).
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by B4T View Post
    ...IMO NM sleeved in PVC with sill plates caulked on both ends fits the description of "normally dry location" and "not subject to excessive moisture or dampness"..

So what do you guys think..
    Your opinion does not count. The NEC does.

`nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
    Your opinion does not count.
    That's Funny.
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

I need that on a t-shirt for when i meet with some inspectors! lol

`nuff said.
    Pretty much, the only options are ignore the clearly written rule or try to have it changed, amended, 'exceptioned' etc.

`nuff said.
    Exception ; When the inspector is not looking....

It seems that none of the inspector's ever call that out, when romex comes through an outside wall to a box with a light fixture ,or a box with a receptacle both are in a wet location .

Quote Originally Posted by LEO2854 View Post
    Exception ; When the inspector is not looking....

It seems that none of the inspector's ever call that out, when romex comes through an outside wall to a box with a light fixture ,or a box with a receptacle both are in a wet location .
    In my opinion. NO they are not esp. when they are inside the wall. The code talks of raceway not cabinets or enclosures, jb's and the like.