SER Cable Exposed on Side of House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If SER cable 2-2-2-4 is run exposed on side of a house, what is the best way for the cable to enter the house? Install a box with connector, LB with short piece of PVC? The HO currently has old SE cable ran and I have to replace with SER. It is currently just run straight through a hole in the wall, IMO, not good or compliant! They don't really want PVC (or any pipe) ran the entire length. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks!

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
We always used a 'Sill plate' they come in different sizes and shapes for SEU or SER

3170241_3621235_trimmed.jpg

50610.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You did not indicate the details of the structure, but since you are in the TN area you might make note of the following from the TN Code:
0780-02-01-.10 SERVICE ENTRANCE CONDUCTORS. Service entrance conductors shall be installed in conduit where such conductors serve a structure with exterior walls of brick, stone, masonry, metal or
metal-clad.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I just drill a hole if its wood or knock out enough of a brick to get it through to the inside of the building.
Then use duct seal around it to seal the hole.
I do like the sill plate idea though.

Steviechia2

LB with short piece of PVC?

I like to do it this way and put a bell end on the inside or female adapter with ser conn. Just size it accordingly to get it through. 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 pvc

hurk27

If we are going to install conduit for the SE cable, why even use SE cable???

here for basements we run 1 1/2" or 2" out of the bottom of the meter to a LB into a pre bent 90 deg. down to the top of the panel, for back to back we use one male adapter and one chase sleeve/nipple in to the panel for a back to back on a garage, for a back to back on the house we come out of the side of the meter with a per bent 90 to a LB into the back of the panel in the laundry, our POCO don't let us use SE cable so we have learned to live with out it.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You did not indicate the details of the structure, but since you are in the TN area you might make note of the following from the TN Code:
0780-02-01-.10 SERVICE ENTRANCE CONDUCTORS. Service entrance conductors shall be installed in conduit where such conductors serve a structure with exterior walls of brick, stone, masonry, metal or
metal-clad.

It is a wood frame with old asbestos shake shingles.

If we are going to install conduit for the SE cable, why even use SE cable???

That's why I'm using SER. The HO doesn't want conduit the entire run, I suggested it with regular conductors but they want the cable.

Thanks for the replies, I kind a like the sill plate idea.

fishin' electrician

metal-clad.

Do they also not allow these? ;)
UF100.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.