Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: utility company power

I was working with a power company connecting generators to services while the power company made changes to the system. It was a while ago but if I recall they where switching from delta to wye distribution and doubling the voltage. They had spent a lot of time preparing and placing new transformers all over the place then they powered down and cut everything over ......... except they missed one and they told me they sent the homes on that transformer 240/480 instead of 120/240.

Anyway I went with a power company worker into a guys home, he lost a lot of crap, entertainment equipment, blown Edison base fuses, GFCI duplex burned up pretty impressively.

The power company guy was handing out his business card to the homeowners on that transformer and told them to call with a list of damages.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    I was working with a power company connecting generators to services while the power company made changes to the system. It was a while ago but if I recall they where switching from delta to wye distribution and doubling the voltage. They had spent a lot of time preparing and placing new transformers all over the place then they powered down and cut everything over ......... except they missed one and they told me they sent the homes on that transformer 240/480 instead of 120/240.
    If I had to guess they were switching from a 2.4kV system to a 7.2kV system.

T.M.Haja Sahib Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    ..... a guys home, he lost a lot of crap, entertainment equipment, blown Edison base fuses, GFCI duplex burned up pretty impressively.
    Putting surge arresters of appropriate rating at the service entrance at each power line to the subject home might have avoided the damages?
    Not mandated by the code?

Quote Originally Posted by T.M.Haja Sahib View Post
    Putting surge arresters of appropriate rating at the service entrance at each power line to the subject home might have avoided the damages?
    I do not believe you stated that????

No surge device is design to handle a long term surge, not even lightning arresters, next time you want to see some smoke hook up a surge device to a voltage of twice its rated value and see what happens, I have seen the damage to surge devices on long term over voltages.

Not going to happen.
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

T.M.Haja Sahib Guest
    You are right and I know it already.
    Let the surge arresters sacrifice in an effort to save the equipments inside the home.
    My question is such a sacrifice effective?

They are installed on every pot.

T.M.Haja Sahib Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hv&Lv View Post
    They are installed on every pot.
    On the LV side also?

On the LV side also?
    They aren't mandated by your countries electrical code?

T.M.Haja Sahib Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hv&Lv View Post
    They aren't mandated by your countries electrical code?
    Only on the HV side because secondary side distribution neutral is solidly grounded here also.

Only on the HV side because secondary side distribution neutral is solidly grounded here also.
    Then I believe you have answered your own question...