Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Hole Sizes for Recessed Lighting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tennessee NEC:2008
    Posts
    3,007

    Hole Sizes for Recessed Lighting

    Does anyone know if the different mfg of remodel recessed lighting all require the same size hole to be cut for the lights? In other words, does Halo 4" need the same size as Juno, or 4" Litolier? I've only used the templates that come with the lights and have not measured them.
    I have a new "Hole Pro" hole saw and would like to know if I can pretty much use the same setting, whether 4,5, or 6", for different mfg. I do know that some of the air tight housings could use a larger hole than their template. They don't tell you that in their spec sheet though.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    388
    I don't know about all, but i know the 6" hole for Juno re-mod is way to big for the 6" HO's pick up think they where Commercial Electric brand (re-mod)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    19,482
    Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers standardized the holes? IMO it won't happen.
    Rob

    Chief Moderator

    All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly Suburbs
    Posts
    206
    Wouldn't that be nice!

    The Lightolier hole saw kit comes with a template for all of their series, and you bump them in or out just a little bit depending on other manufacturers.

    If the Hole Pro is half as good as the Lightolier kit, you're gonna love it.

    I've cut around 1000 drywall holes with this kit, with very rare cleaning and never a deep cleaning. It was time to just get another one, as the bits are $22 a set. The entire cutter kit was $98, and comes with two sets.


    Last edited by svh19044; 03-26-12 at 08:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    426
    I have different size holesaws and check a can on a scrap piece of drywall before I go to the job..

    Things are changing everytime a company is bought and sold and the only 100% sure way of avoiding a screw up is check.. check.. check..

    HD also sells 24"X24" pieces of drywall so you really have no excuse if you make a mistake..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tennessee NEC:2008
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by svh19044 View Post
    Wouldn't that be nice!

    The Lightolier hole saw kit comes with a template for all of their series, and you bump them in or out just a little bit depending on other manufacturers.

    If the Hole Pro is half as good as the Lightolier kit, you're gonna love it.

    I've cut around 1000 drywall holes with this kit, with very rare cleaning and never a deep cleaning. It was time to just get another one, as the bits are $22 a set. The entire cutter kit was $98, and comes with two sets.


    Did that kit come with all those pilot bits? Why would you need so many? It looks like there are masonry bits in there. Everything else looks close to what the Hole Pro kit has.

    Quote Originally Posted by B4T View Post
    I have different size holesaws and check a can on a scrap piece of drywall before I go to the job..

    Things are changing everytime a company is bought and sold and the only 100% sure way of avoiding a screw up is check.. check.. check..

    HD also sells 24"X24" pieces of drywall so you really have no excuse if you make a mistake..
    That was one of the reasons for my question. I have some scrap drywall and wanted to try it out before taking it to a job. I really don't want to buy a can in each size for every mfg.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly Suburbs
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Did that kit come with all those pilot bits? Why would you need so many? It looks like there are masonry bits in there. Everything else looks close to what the Hole Pro kit has.
    I don't know what the point is of all those pilot bits, I haven't used them in the past 2 years.



    That was one of the reasons for my question. I have some scrap drywall and wanted to try it out before taking it to a job. I really don't want to buy a can in each size for every mfg.
    Every can that I use has a cutout size listed and it's not hard to find either. If you are off 1/16th of an inch, it's not going to matter. If the hole pro is like the lightolier kit, it's got exact numbers on the bar to make an exact size hole, so you shouldn't even be off that 1/16th.

    I guess a good tip for these kits is do NOT apply a lot of pressure, keep a medium speed, and don't let off. And again, do NOT apply a lot of pressure (especially at the beginning and the end, if too much pressure is applied, at the beginning will rip the edge of the drywall, and the end if will push through too quick leaving marks outside of where the trims cover).
    Last edited by svh19044; 03-27-12 at 08:59 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Did that kit come with all those pilot bits? Why would you need so many? It looks like there are masonry bits in there. Everything else looks close to what the Hole Pro kit has.



    That was one of the reasons for my question. I have some scrap drywall and wanted to try it out before taking it to a job. I really don't want to buy a can in each size for every mfg.
    I buy all my material a few days before I need it for a job.. that gives you time to make sure you have all the parts and proper tools to do the job..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    10,430
    I use Halo and Lightolier, nothing else. That limits the amount of holesaws I need.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tennessee NEC:2008
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by svh19044 View Post





    Every can that I use has a cutout size listed and it's not hard to find either. If you are off 1/16th of an inch, it's not going to matter. If the hole pro is like the lightolier kit, it's got exact numbers on the bar to make an exact size hole, so you shouldn't even be off that 1/16th.

    I guess a good tip for these kits is do NOT apply a lot of pressure, keep a medium speed, and don't let off. And again, do NOT apply a lot of pressure (especially at the beginning and the end, if too much pressure is applied, at the beginning will rip the edge of the drywall, and the end if will push through too quick leaving marks outside of where the trims cover).
    I looked up the halo cans on their website. For the hole size it said "just use the template". Thanks Halo for being so helpful.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •