outdr light install on hardi board

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebeadg

So I have to install an outdr light and wiring for a light fixture on hardi board. I've never come across this stuff before, though I did install a cple outlets on it the other day. Now I'n a little leary about making my hole for the rd or device box I'll use. Any tips for working with this stuff? Also, best tool to use?

lgmagone

So I have to install an outdr light and wiring for a light fixture on hardi board. I've never come across this stuff before, though I did install a cple outlets on it the other day. Now I'n a little leary about making my hole for the rd or device box I'll use. Any tips for working with this stuff? Also, best tool to use?

It works similar to wood (it's fibercement). You can drill it with a hole saw. It can be cut with a jigsaw or saber saw.

I don't think there is anything to be concerned about working with it, just make sure to measure twice and cut once.

norcal

It works similar to wood (it's fibercement). You can drill it with a hole saw. It can be cut with a jigsaw or saber saw.

I don't think there is anything to be concerned about working with it, just make sure to measure twice and cut once.

It will eat on the teeth of the hole saw, it's even hard on blades made for Hardiplank, or Hardipanels, and for your safety avoid breathing the dust as it contains silica. I bought a shear to cut the stuff but it would not cut a circle.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Use an abrasive holesaw or one with carbide teeth. We have lots of that stuff up here as well as the older shingles that are basically the same- cement fiber. The real old stuff from the 50's has asbestos in it so it's always a good idea to wear a dust mask if you are going to make any dust.

It does tend to be brittle so don't go chiseling on it or trying to punch a hole for a screw. Always cut or drill.

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Here’s what I do, and it’s worked well for me.

I use a hole-saw just to score the board, then I use a beater flat-head and knock the hole out. Once you score it, it breaks very easily. Then continue on through the wood with the hole saw.

When cutting flat-side holes for device boxes, I score it with an oscillating tool and then chip it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnE

Use an abrasive holesaw or one with carbide teeth. We have lots of that stuff up here as well as the older shingles that are basically the same- cement fiber. The real old stuff from the 50's has asbestos in it so it's always a good idea to wear a dust mask if you are going to make any dust.

It does tend to be brittle so don't go chiseling on it or trying to punch a hole for a screw. Always cut or drill.

-Hal

^^^This^^^

kwired

Electron manager

-Hal
New fiber cement board I haven't found to be brittle. That stuff from 50's is very brittle, but as you mentioned also contains asbestos - avoid disturbing that stuff altogether or the asbestos police will be after you.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Ended up having to do this very thing today.... took a pic of what I was talking about above to show you.

d3a11899d8a4d5b42a967184b988eacc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

Occupation
EC
New fiber cement board I haven't found to be brittle. That stuff from 50's is very brittle, but as you mentioned also contains asbestos - avoid disturbing that stuff altogether or the asbestos police will be after you.

Actually I found just the opposite, the stuff with asbestos was less brittle but I guess it all depends on who made it.

If you are a contractor doing a job for a customer you are bound by the asbestos mitigation requirements of your state. However, I don't think cutting a hole in siding containing asbestos requires a licensed asbestos contractor. If you are cutting with a saw or hole saw keep a spray bottle of water with you to wet the area to keep the dust down.

Asbestos containing siding is one of the least dangerous forms of asbestos because it is not normally friable. In this state homeowners can remove the siding, bag it and put it in a dumpster or even out with the trash for smaller quantities. But if you hire a contractor to remove it they have to be certified.

-Hal

handy10

OP states the siding is Hardie board, which does not have asbestos. If the board is cut, the edge should be primed to prevent water from being absorbed. Carbide hole saw is the way to go.

joebeadg

thank y all for the replies and the pic! Its a newer house, so no asbestus. Although done so many brake jobs back in the day asbestus dosen't bother me. LOL This siding is like 6" horizontal boards, so I'm a little worried about possibly cracking it. Should be good though, thanks again

hbiss

Occupation
EC
I know Hardie Board doesn't have asbestos but I thought that this was a good opportunity to talk about the similar products out there, both new and old, with and without asbestos that we come across in our work. Some of the younger guys here might never have come across this stuff because vinyl siding is so popular.

-Hal

Craigv

I have used carbide tools and still do, but wherever possible have upgraded to diamond tipped bits and blades. Costs more but lasts far longer and cuts better...a worthwhile investment.

kwired

Electron manager
I know Hardie Board doesn't have asbestos but I thought that this was a good opportunity to talk about the similar products out there, both new and old, with and without asbestos that we come across in our work. Some of the younger guys here might never have come across this stuff because vinyl siding is so popular.

-Hal
I haven't seen new vinyl siding installed for ~10 years or more, other than maybe an addition to something that already had vinyl siding to begin with. It is always Hardie board or similar product anymore.

I sided my own house with James Hardie siding when it was new about 13 years ago. I don't know what you mean when you call it brittle. I can flex it a fair amount without breaking or even cracking it. That old hard asbestos containing siding from 1950's don't hardly bend at all or it will snap from my experiences. You can drive nails or screws in Hardie siding with no trouble. With that old stuff you better drill a hole first or it will easily break all they way across the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.