Ground??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

120/208V panel. RTU heat feeds show 3 phase(hots) and no neutral. Shouldn't a separate ground(EGC) be required? If not why? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can use the metal raceway as an EGC. If there is a flexible raceway involved and the equipment will move or vibrate then you must install a wire type EGC within the flexible raceway. I'm glad that you clarified the word "ground" by calling it the correct term, EGC. :)

mstrlucky74

You can use the metal raceway as an EGC. If there is a flexible raceway involved and the equipment will move or vibrate then you must install a wire type EGC within the flexible raceway. I'm glad that you clarified the word "ground" by calling it the correct term, EGC. :)

Thanks. What code section is that regarding the EGC in the FMC? Thanks.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It’s likely listed in the project specs that all conduits have an appropriately sized EGC.

Usually the only place I see the ground size specified in a schedule is on panel feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mstrlucky74

It’s likely listed in the project specs that all conduits have an appropriately sized EGC.

Usually the only place I see the ground size specified in a schedule is on panel feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it usually does but we always figure the conduit to be the EGC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

On our current project we're doing the same thing, no wire type EGC's. Seems that the building owner wants code minimum to save money on the 2.3 billion dollar project.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On our current project we're doing the same thing, no wire type EGC's. Seems that the building owner wants code minimum to save money on the 2.3 billion dollar project.

I actually really love to hear that. Seems like hardly anyone uses the raceway as egc anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.