how do you dress for your class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am wondering how you guys dress for your classes. I usually wear slacks, button shirt and sometimes a tie.

John120/240

Class was always in the evening after work, so just work clothes. Unless I got

exceptionally dirty. Your attire sounds better suited for the job interview.

But then I am not an insturctor, just a student.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Class is casual for me. Of course I am not in school but I see no reason to dress up. BTW, always bring an apple and put it on the teachers desk. :grin:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't think it much matters these days.

As long as you are not dirty, smelly, or raggedy looking who really cares?

It's not like you are teaching MBA candidates. These are people who get dirty on a regular basis.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as you are not dirty, smelly, or raggedy looking who really cares?

I would care. If I'm paying someone to teach me they can exhibit some level of professionalism which includes looking the part. Actually I have little tolerance for sloppy people in general.:roll:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
We once had an inspector who wore $500 suits and Gucchi shoes and required E/Cs to place walkboards down on muddy jobs so he clould make it to the job site.
He wasn't around for too long.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
We once had an inspector who wore $500 suits and Gucchi shoes and required E/Cs to place walkboards down on muddy jobs so he clould make it to the job site.
He wasn't around for too long.

This is being flashy, not professional.

richxtlc

An instructor is a professional, you should dress at least one level higher than your students. They wear jeans, you wear slacks and soft collar shirt, or tailored shirt with/without tie.

RICK NAPIER

You have to consider the venue that your teaching. When I have taught electricians at the end of the work day a button down or similar clean shirt was fine. When I'm giving a seminar to electricians and engineers at a corporate setting a tie is appropriate.

zog

An instructor is a professional, you should dress at least one level higher than your students. They wear jeans, you wear slacks and soft collar shirt, or tailored shirt with/without tie.

My take was to always be the best dressed guy in the room, but not overdressed.. Depends on the audience.

billsnuff

I was always more impressed with the teachers passion for the subject matter than their manner of dress. I have learned a lot from people in jeans, but there is nothing wrong with dressing as a professional.

bphgravity

I agree with Rick and Zog.

Instructor dress needs to fit the part. Overdressing can come across as intimidating or unapproachable. Undressing can be perceived as disrespectful and dissolve the instructor?s credibility.

The nice thing about jackets and ties is that they can come off once things get rolling. It?s good to make a nice first impression. If the jacket and tie come off during the presentation, it indicates you are comfortable and casual.

My days of judging instructors and/or attendees based on their clothing or appearance are long past me, but I do understand it is a huge part of human social interaction?

renosteinke

Work is work ... and there's nothing wrong wearing a pair of Carharts to teach. Indeed, a little bit of dirt, or wear, helps your 'credibility.'

I can't speak for others, but I consider 'leadership' an essential part of teaching. You can't push a rope- you have to make them WANT to learn. The first requirement is for you to convince them that you're worth listening to, that this matter is worth learning. "Dressing the part" is a requirement. You're speaking as 'senior tradesman' to 'eager minds full of mush.'

And senior tradesmen don't wear tuxedos. Or dresses. Or flip-flops. At least, not when they're up a ladder, hanging lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.