Switchgear grounding connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayimbe

Hello everybody, I got this problem with grounding switchgears at the project that im working. Let me describe to you what I have:

In one room there is SG (switchgear) of 480 V that has a connection with the grounding system of the plant. This SG is connected to another SG in another room localized at 100 meters from the first one, by duct banks, which is also connected to the grounding system of the plant. The grounding system of the plant is a Grid.

My question is:

Is it necesary to make a connection between these two SG's by a cable??
If it is not, then where can I find a standard that shows this issue?

I think that it is not necesary to make the connection between them, since they both are connected to the same grid, but im not completely sure...

Thanks...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This SG is connected to another SG in another room localized at 100 meters from the first one, by duct banks, which is also connected to the grounding system of the plant.

Is it necesary to make a connection between these two SG's by a cable??
I believe so. There should be EGC's run with the interconnecting feeders, unless they're in a conductive raceway. Duct banks are usually non-conductive, right?

Mayimbe

I believe so. There should be EGC's run with the interconnecting feeders, unless they're in a conductive raceway. Duct banks are usually non-conductive, right?

Right. But since theyre both connected to the same grid, then the connection is already done between them. Dont see the reason of connect them again with a wire. please, could you explain?

Mayimbe

Well, we have made the decision.

We are not going to connect them with a cable between them since there is not a standard that shows this. And because the grounding connection is been made as well to both of them.

If anybody wants to know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.