Free air requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

prattz99

Occupation
Electrician
Hi,

I'm trying to locate the article or chart in the NEC for the wire size needed for a 100 amp overhead privately owned residential service drop. The situation calls for a utility pole to be installed on private property and two 100 amp meter mains to be installed on the utility pole "H" frame. The power company would then connect to the pole and energize both of the services. I would be responsible to come back up the same utility pole and string a open air (preferably Al) self supporting feed wire to the customers house and reconnect to the existing overhead service.

Kind of a complicated job and am leaning toward going underground from the utility pole to the re-feed the house. 310.15 is the only chart that I think might be of help?

kwired

Electron manager
Hi,

I'm trying to locate the article or chart in the NEC for the wire size needed for a 100 amp overhead privately owned residential service drop. The situation calls for a utility pole to be installed on private property and two 100 amp meter mains to be installed on the utility pole "H" frame. The power company would then connect to the pole and energize both of the services. I would be responsible to come back up the same utility pole and string a open air (preferably Al) self supporting feed wire to the customers house and reconnect to the existing overhead service.

Kind of a complicated job and am leaning toward going underground from the utility pole to the re-feed the house. 310.15 is the only chart that I think might be of help?
You are on the right track, but there is more then one 310.15(B) table. 310.15(B)(16) is most commonly used one, but read the details in the title of the table - table 310.15(B)(20) fits your application better than (B)(16) does. You could still use (B)(16) but will result in a larger conductor than (B)(20) allows. Must make sure conductors you are using fit the description in the table as well though.

Status
Not open for further replies.