2" sleeve through fire rated corridor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I have a fire rated corridor going around offices. I am penetrating the corridor with a 2" sleeve for circuits etc. above every office. I have a UL detail to install the sleeve however the building dept is asking for a detail to fill the void between the wires and the wall of the sleeve. My UL detail doesen't cover that right now. Currently I am using UL detail W-L-1453.

Thank you guys

bphgravity

I would likely allow the firestopping method identified in Part 4 (A) and/or (B) to be used for the inside of the sleeve, but if your AHJ will not accept that, you may need to get another approved UL system design that specifies this directly.

Npstewart

Heres the exact comment:

Note #3 on sheet E2 appears to refer to a pipe sleeve with open ends. Please identify how this through-penetration will be protected in accordance with FFPC 101: section 8.3.5.1 and how the open ends of the pipe sleeve will be addressed.

bphgravity

That would be a legitimate section to cite by a fire safety insepctor. Building (electrical) inspectors enforce the building code, not the fire code. A more proper section to cite would be 712.3.1 of the FBC.

I would suggest you forward the inspectors request to the engineer of record and request an alternative system that provides this information...

Status
Not open for further replies.