Fl licence and Maryland requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

velezl

I just got my master electrical licence and I received a job offer with siemens corporation in md. They are going to pay me 28 per hr and great benefit. Please give me your opinion if you were me.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
To go with a large manufacturer such as Seimens verses trying to go into business in Fl with the economy the way it is, the Siemens offer wold probably win out if it were me, but let's see what others opinions are.

Roger

WIMaster

Based on the way things are in my neck of the woods I would take the corporate job now, maintain your Lic. and re-evaluate in a few years.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Based on the way things are in my neck of the woods I would take the corporate job now, maintain your Lic. and re-evaluate in a few years.

A very good strategy. As a matter of fact, if you want you could probably get licensed in MD and do side work. I know a fella in Florham Park who works in their tech support group who has his NJ contractor's license and does a lot of side work. They don't seem to mind, as long as it's not fire alarm work or building automation, of course :grin:.

NO!

NO!

Scale here in Virginia dc and md is about 39 + for a journeyman electrician in a few months when i am a 4th year apprentice I will make 29 per hour. Do you really want to be paid less than me? Local 26 has a long bench at the moment though.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Scale here in Virginia dc and md is about 39 + for a journeyman electrician in a few months when i am a 4th year apprentice I will make 29 per hour. Do you really want to be paid less than me? Local 26 has a long bench at the moment though.

Yeah, that's the problem for the union guys. It's great money...when you're working!! So, make $39+ per hour and work half the time - or less, or work 40 hrs a week at $28 and take some work on the side? They wouldn't make the offer if they couldn't keep him busy.

mtfallsmikey

I just got my master electrical licence and I received a job offer with siemens corporation in md. They are going to pay me 28 per hr and great benefit. Please give me your opinion if you were me.

Sounds good to me, although I am a former customer of Siemens. Have NICET fire alarm system certs per chance? Lots of opportunities here in thD.C. area for that.

1/2 time?

1/2 time?

Yeah, that's the problem for the union guys. It's great money...when you're working!! So, make $39+ per hour and work half the time - or less, or work 40 hrs a week at $28 and take some work on the side? They wouldn't make the offer if they couldn't keep him busy.

you know that is a bit off.....Half time (how about recession) bench was clear for 5 years straight before now, and.....we have paid medical, 4 retirements, top pay, and even if laid off, we dont have to grab a paper and pray. And who says we can't do side work?.....I don't mean to argue for the union, here just to counter the ill points of a obviously non-union member

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think we given the OP some things to think about but, he'll have to make the decision that best suits him.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.