detached garage grounding,bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steviechia2

I h I don't believe article 230 has an exception to allow this. If this is the case what allows the lighting control wiring between 2 buildings supplied by two services?

I agree with you, it doesn't allow it. 230.2 says a building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service. I know it's only 1 circuit but it is still serving the building with a different service.

hurk27

I agree with you, it doesn't allow it. 230.2 says a building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service. I know it's only 1 circuit but it is still serving the building with a different service.

It is only supplied by one service, see the definition of a service in article 100, also if this was true, then there would have been no reason for the requirement of 225.37, see post 17

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is only supplied by one service, see the definition of a service in article 100, also if this was true, then there would have been no reason for the requirement of 225.37, see post 17
I agree. One service.

Unrelated to the OP, I've always found 225.37 to be in conflict with 230.3 regarding service conductors.
225.37 Identification. Where a building or structure has any
combination of feeders, branch circuits, or services passing
through it or supplying it, a permanent plaque or directory
shall be installed at each feeder and branch-circuit disconnect
location denoting all other services, feeders, or branch circuits
supplying that building or structure or passing through that
building or structure and the area served by each.

230.3 One Building or Other Structure Not to Be Supplied
Through Another. Service conductors supplying a
building or other structure shall not pass through the interior
of another building or other structure.

dexterg

Remore RF switch

Remore RF switch

I would use a RF wireless switch like the maestro that Levington makes. Install the master switch at the garage and mount the remote RF switch at the house. (within 150'). I have used these and they work. The remote is surface mounted and is decora style. Once installed it looks just like it has always been there, no mess and no hassle. They have 2 models, one ratwed 6 amps and the other is rated 8 amps.
Hope this helps.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Although I follow all the arguments this is a great example of the tail wagging the dog. Really this simple issue is made complicated by the deficiencies of the code or the lack of foresight in residential applications.

Steviechia2

So much Gray:roll: Here is another article that could contradict 225.37, look at 230.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.