4/0- 4/0- 4/0 -2/0 Al. SER

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

Blk , red , white = 4/0 ,.. bare = 2/0 What is the purpose of such a large bare conductor ? Am I not seeing something here??
.. Main disconnect is a pole mount 200 amp meter/main combo .. Main feeder to the single family dwelling = pipe underground with 3- 4/0 dual rated USE/ RHW and 1 copper #6 thhn to a big ol'e PVC J-box then changes over to the above mentioned SER cable . The grounding electrode is 3 5/8 x 8' ground rods at the pole.. # 6 thhn loops the 3 of them.

???? was the # 6 equipment grounding conductor sized correctly for the feeder?

???? when does it make sense to have a 2/0 bare conductor ? three phase service I guess , and the bare as a grounded?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Blk , red , white = 4/0 ,.. bare = 2/0 What is the purpose of such a large bare conductor ? Am I not seeing something here??
.. Main disconnect is a pole mount 200 amp meter/main combo .. Main feeder to the single family dwelling = pipe underground with 3- 4/0 dual rated USE/ RHW and 1 copper #6 thhn to a big ol'e PVC J-box then changes over to the above mentioned SER cable . The grounding electrode is 3 5/8 x 8' ground rods at the pole.. # 6 thhn loops the 3 of them.

???? was the # 6 equipment grounding conductor sized correctly for the feeder?

???? when does it make sense to have a 2/0 bare conductor ? three phase service I guess , and the bare as a grounded?

I bought a piece of the same type cable the other day and I wondered the same thing! Why in the world would they put a 2/0 equipment ground in here! Actually had to buy an add on lug for the ground bar that would accept 2/0.
Bought it from Lowes, think maybe that was why?

M. D.

I did not buy it at big a big box,
Rob , on first glance that seems even large for that purpose ,.
Dennis I have never re-identified a solid white conductor for three phase use ... have you?
Seems like a waste of money,. If you need it that's one thing but the grounded and the grounding could both have been smaller .

M. D.

well then Bob,.. I guess thats why. In the O.P. that was the only thing I could think of too.. thanks I figured a commercial guy would chime in....:)... thanks

volt101

2/0 - This would afford for a 600 amp overcurrent device when paralleling.

250.122(F) Conductors in Parallel. Where conductors are run in parallel in multiple raceways or cables as permitted in 310.4, the equipment grounding conductors, where used, shall be run in parallel in each raceway or cable.
Each parallel equipment grounding conductor shall be sized on the basis of the ampere rating of the overcurrent device protecting the circuit conductors in the raceway or cable in accordance with Table 250.122.

TobyD

Are you sure on the 2/0 conductor sizing?Most of the service cable I've used has a 4/0-4/0-4/0 and a #2 bare equipment grounding conductor...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Gotta love bLowes ... sells lots of useless stuff...
They also carry a few things nobody else does.

For example, a SQ D 200a main breaker in a 3r enclosure, for $127. Graybar can't find the part number in their catalog. You must buy the breaker and enclosure separately, for around $185.

Another is 50- and 100-piece contractor-pack boxes of certain MC and FMC fittings, most of which HD only sells in 10-packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.