coffe stand electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Depending on local Codes, Romex should be o.k. if covered by a 15 min rated covering.
Charge as much as you can get :grin:

renosteinke

I can't answer as to the use of NM; the three I did were all EMT. I like EMT. Yet, I might have some useful advice ...

I cannot stress enough the need to get SPECIFIC and detailed information as to what equipment will be used and where it will be placed. "Cut sheets" should be available from the equipment suppliers that detail how much power each appliance will need, and where it will be located.

For example ... IIRC, the last one I did needed 14 receptacles- some below the counter and one near the ceiling (for the ice maker on the soda machine)- spread over 11 circuits. That's just for the 'coffee' stuff - I'm not including the register, signs, air conditioning, lights, or anything else.

Overkill? Well, the customer had operated this sort of business before, and mine was the first one he had where he did not have 'nuisance trips' from several appliances being operated at once.

Likewise, plan for lots of ceiling-height receptacles for the supply of vendor-furnished 'bar signs.' These signs often have only 18" of cord. You'll want there to be an easy way to turn the circuit off at closing time.

marti smith

As augie said, local codes are really your criteria, along with what type of construction is allowed (I, II, V, etc.): chapter 6 of IBC; the GC should have the info on what type of construction the building will be and from this you can form a list of materials that are allowed, and the costs involved.

bullheimer

yeah, thats impossible to price out like this. i have posted that i charge $2200 for a 200 amp service only, and a few have replied, from michigan to texas, that they havent been able to get more than $1100 for that in the last five years. so good luck. all depends on where you live. i have discovered a guy in seattle who is advertising to do a 200A upgrade at $1600, so no doubt i will be dropping my prices soon, very soon.

oh yeah as for romex, thats all on your local as well. here, you can wire commercial buildings in romex but only if it's a stick framed building.

Status
Not open for further replies.