Truck Heater Receptacle Wiring Method...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some design advice. Here is what I want to do:

Feed 4 exterior power pedestals (treated 4x4's) for truck heaters. Each pedestal would have 4 circuits. I would install a WP box with (2) duplex receptacles, breaking the tab on both, to allow for 4 circuits to be available per location. The problem is getting GFI protection at the pedestal.

If I install more pedestals, and use a GFI for each circuit, I run the risk of 2 trucks plugging into the same GFI and circuit, which would overload the ckt. Each truck heater (16 total) needs to have it's own circuit. If I install GFI breakers 1. it's expensive (this is a bid job) and 2. if it ever tripped, the user would have to find the panel to reset it.

Any advice?

Bullcub145

Wow, this is a good one. I have been sitting here racking my brain for 20 minutes going over idea and idea. The best scenario I can come up with is to mount a 2 gang box for each heater. in one opening use a blankface GFCI outlet, in the other side use a single gang outlet. feed through your gfci and into your single outlet. Its a bit more expensive but I think it would be acceptable by code as long as you use a two gang in-use cover to protect them. I could be wrong though, cause it may need that WR rating on the outlets.

Steviechia2

what I want to do:

If I install more pedestals, and use a GFI for each circuit, I run the risk of 2 trucks plugging into the same GFI and circuit, which would overload the ckt. Each truck heater (16 total) needs to have it's own circuit. If I install GFI breakers 1. it's expensive (this is a bid job) and 2. if it ever tripped, the user would have to find the panel to reset it.

Any advice?

I have done many truck heater plugs and never had a problem with the truckers using same plug. Truckers have some common sense:grin:. Just number the plugs so they can see it. My biggest problem was them hitting the pedestals or driving off without unplugging. So keep it as far back or behind some kind of bollard if possible.

renosteinke

How about ....

Dead Front GFCI devices in the bell box, with a short length of cord & cord cap hanging out the bottom for them to plug into?

There are rubber boots that would cover the backs of the cord caps to make them 'weatherproof.'

As I see it, this arrangement would also let you get away from 'bubble covers.'

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Using these would allow for a single GFCI-protected receptacle and add a switch, which can be wired in line with the receptacle:

31YuBngio5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dead Front GFCI devices in the bell box, with a short length of cord & cord cap hanging out the bottom for them to plug into?
After the PowerBridge inlet thread? :cool:

Last edited:
That's a good option. The only down side is I'd only be able to get 2 receptacles/circuits per 2 gang box instead of the 4 I was hoping for. I suppose I could mount (2) 2-gang boxes per post. Either that or just install 8 posts (with 1 2-gang each).

Someone should invent a device that can provide GFI protection for both recpetacles on a single yoke.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Someone should invent a device that can provide GFI protection for both recpetacles on a single yoke.
...both receptacles on separate circuits that is...
How about a 2-pole GFCI breaker? Then, you could split-wire each duplex using 3-wire MWBC's.

M. D.

I like the idea of the dead face feeding either a receptacle or a female cord drop.. I would not go multi wire unless handle ties allow for independent operation on overload.. I like the idea of the GFCI being right there , easy to find and reset. Also since it is not a receptacle it does not need to be WR or a bubble cover or TR for that matter..

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I would probably install a feeder to a 4 cir 3r Loadcenter at each of the 4 locations with (4) standard Breakers in each, (2) 2g wp boxes below each with (2) GFI Receptacles ea.

That way the breakers are in close proximity to where the receptacles are and if one was to trip you would have access to it outside. (if the existing panel your coming from is inside,)

Plus coming up with (16) circuits inside to feed them individually would take up a lot of breaker spaces, unless there's an outdoor panel already in place to begin with.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Be prepared for lots of GFI trips with block heaters. The heaters themselves and the cords laying in the snow will provide lots of resets. WI used to have an execption regarding the need for GFI's but it has since expired. I had a fun winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.