Exterior Pedestal Feed Design help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some design advice. Here is what I want to do:

Feed 4 exterior power pedestals (treated 4x4's) for truck heaters. Each pedestal would have 4 circuits. I would install a WP box with (2) duplex receptacles, breaking the tab on both, to allow for 4 circuits to be available per location. The problem is getting GFI protection at the pedestal.

If I install more pedestals, and use a GFI for each circuit, I run the risk of 2 trucks plugging into the same GFI and circuit, which would overload the ckt. Each truck heater (16 total) needs to have it's own circuit. If I install GFI breakers 1. it's expensive (this is a bid job) and 2. if it ever tripped, the user would have to find the panel to reset it.

Any advice?

ZinskI/E

Seems there ought to be a single receptacle with GFCI protection listed for outdoors, but I can't say I've ever seen such a thing.

Now I may be way off base with this one, but what says you don't break the tab on a standard GFCI and only connect one half of it? One of the receptacles of the duplex would be forever non-functional (without rewiring the device) - you could block it off with an old-school child proof receptacle insert.

Before the berating begins, I'd more consider this as a solution to an existing problem rather than a new design, but thought I'd bring up the idea to see what others think from a code perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.