Jdb

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

A contractor poured a slab for a "metal horse barn" before I had a chance to do any bonding to the re-bar in the slab. I believe that this will be a violation to Article 547 & 250.52 (A) (2). Any suggestions? Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree it's a violation.
It's overlooked in many areas that I have seen mostly because of a lot of the "horse barns" I see have no horses.

tkb

A horse barn with a slab?
I don't know anything about horses, but I don't think they like walking on concrete.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
A contractor poured a slab for a "metal horse barn" before I had a chance to do any bonding to the re-bar in the slab. I believe that this will be a violation to Article 547 & 250.52 (A) (2). Any suggestions? Thanks

Hilti jackhammer or other hammer drill to the rebar closest to your panel or feed. Bond the rebar, fill hole with concrete.

JDB3

Jdb

Yes, they plan to put a rubber mat where the horse stalls are. Concrete on all the floor area to help clean & help keep unwanted visitors out (varments). This horse is 23 years old, and highly thought of.

dexterg

jACK HAMMER

jACK HAMMER

Joe: jackhammer the concrete and find the rebar to bond to like I said yesterday....It won't be that hard to do., just labor intensive 1/2 day or so.
Give your general contractor the option to expose the rebar for you since they obviosly are not aware that this should have been done before pouring the slab.

JDB3

Jdb

Because of the distance the "horse barn" will be from the original electrical source, I am thinking of running 4 wire system to the barn panel & also having a good ground rod there. Any thoughts?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Because of the distance the "horse barn" will be from the original electrical source, I am thinking of running 4 wire system to the barn panel & also having a good ground rod there. Any thoughts?

Unless this is just a branch circuit, by code, you have to run the 4 conductor and drive the ground rod at the other structure, and separate the neutral and grounding conductors.

hurk27

You need to read 547.10(A) and (B) yes you will still be require to tie into this concrete and bond it to any available equipment grounding conductor, and if your on the 2008 you are required to run a 4-wire to this barn.

On the flip side not running a 4-wire can impose the voltage drop of the neutral on all the grounding in this barn, not a good idea, also by not tyeing the concrete into the EGC could open you up to a liability if something was to happen down the road, it just doesn't pay to disregard the requirements in the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.