Cardboard Cover On Electrical Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Why a temp cover instead of replacing the real cover? Labor intensive if the cover is being removed over and over during construction as circuits are added / wire pulled.

Why a cover at all?
If the panel needs to be hotted up to provide workplace lighting, but is still being worked on.

Cardboard? OSHA violation! OSHA says whatever you use has to be "acceptable" for the use.
"OSHA defines "Acceptable" (in part) as: "An installation or equipment is acceptable to the Assistant Secretary of Labor, and approved within the meaning of this Subpart S: (i) if it is accepted, or certified, or listed, or labeled, or otherwise determined to be safe by a nationally recognized testing laboratory..." See 1910.399, Definitions applicable to... Subpart .
I seriously doubt anyone has listed a piece of cardboard.

But there are temporary covers that are UL certified as such and thereby acceptable to OSHA for job site safety. I have used these.
Grace Temporary Covers. A local supply house told me they can't keep them in stock because once the AHJs and OSHA folks discovered they exist, they red tag cardboard like crazy now. I think there are other brands out now, I haven't had need for one for a few years. the one's I bought were from a company in Portland called TempCovers, but from what I understand they were bought out by Grace a few years ago.
GuywithTC2.jpg

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In essence, the temporary cover is designed to make the live parts of the panel box "readily accessible." With the temporary cover installed, anyone, including unqualified personnel, can readily obtain access to those parts. In contrast, the standards indicate that inaccessibility requires obstacles that are not easily/readily overcome to block access to the live parts. For example, the original, manufacturer-supplied panel box covers can only be removed by first removing screws. Therefore, the temporary cover violates these standards.
The above is from OSHA letter of Standard Interpretation

cowboyjwc

Staff member
"and this is why panels should not be energized before the project is complete. "

I'd say that's a little un-realistic to say the least. How do you know if anything works? No elevators, no hvac, no fire alarm or security alarms, customer computer servers and network equipment, etc, etc...............

Remember, I'm an inspector, I don't care if it works, that's between you and the owner.

renosteinke

Actually, any inspector -or government employee- has a duty to go beyond just 'following the law.'

After all, our system was designed as it is as a specific response to governmental abuses. Whether the issue is a tax on tea, or the latest electrical widget, we must remain on guard against those who would hijack government for their own purposes.

For example, UL is routinely asked to create 'classifications' for things that someone has a monopoly for. This was one of the central issues in the background of both GFCI's and AFCI's: no matter how wonderful they were, UL would not write a standard as long as they were protected by patents.

We've all seen it happen: an unhappy competitor 'drops a dime' on the successful party, hoping that the inspection that follows will force the customer to turn to them.

maryl

Close but not there yet.

Close but not there yet.

We use plexiglass for temp covers and Gorilla glue the signage onto the front. Temp covers must be secured! Magnetic attachments can be removed more easily than screws. A piece of plywood with signage also works well and is generally availble on a job site. The way I look at it is this, regarless of being UL approved, does the cover cover the panel completely, does it prevent penatration, and does it have signage indicating the hazard? If "yes" to all than we have provided protection against accidental contact and damage to the unit. Energized panels must be covered with the metal cover.

"TempCovers™
Our exclusive UL Classified Temporary Panel™ Cover will save you time and money! TempCovers™ meet all of OSHA's applicable standards and have non-conductive magnetic strips for easy use. TempCovers™ are tear and puncture resistant and are to be used by licensed and/or qualified worker as a temporary protective panelboard ingress barrier for commercial, residential, or maintenance electrical panels."

Last edited:

renosteinke

Good Heavens! I've never seen a better example of 'over-engineering' something or misunderstanding things. For that matter, there's hardly a better example of the foolishness of a 'one size fits all' approach.

The first question to ask is: "Why is the panel cover removed?" Followed by "For how long?"

Also relevant is: "Is the panel live?"

There are two situations that cover the majority of situations where I've seen panels covered with cardboard.
The first is new construction, where the panel is dead, circuits are being installed, and the 'real' cover won't be brought to the job site until the painters have left. The purpose is two fold: to protect the innards from damage, and to keep your loose, excess wires from snagging everyone who comes near.

The second is where the painter takes the cover of a live panel prior to spraying the wall. The purpose is to keep paint and texture from contaminating the panel.

I submit that the two situations call for different solutions- if for no other reason than the presence of the breakers can complicate the attachment of the cover.

A 'store-bought' cover? Yea, right. As if I'm going to fill my truck with the dozens of different size covers I encounter, many from discontinued brands. Bigger is better? Not if you're trying to paint the wall!

Now, let me drift a bit ..... Out west we often install "all-in-one" panels. Every one of those have a meter base - and every one comes with a simple bit of cardboard to cover the meter opening until the meter is set. I have yet to see a UL lable on one of those discs. For that matter, I have not found any such marking on the PoCo's glass and plastic 'blank' plates- and those have projections that fit into the (probably live) meter socket jaws.

Makes me wonder how we managed to get by all these years, without such outside attention to our practices.

tasdes104

There are now some UL listed temporary covers you can buy just for this kind of situation.

In 2010, August, OSHA deemed the temporary panel cover shall require an equal rating of a permanent cover; and more importantly, it shall be 'listed' for the purpose. And has stated that a cardboard cover is unsafe.

Isn't OSHA fun ! ! ! !

sully

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In 2010, August, OSHA deemed the temporary panel cover shall require an equal rating of a permanent cover; and more importantly, it shall be 'listed' for the purpose. And has stated that a cardboard cover is unsafe.

Isn't OSHA fun ! ! ! !

sully

It's funny because IMO the cardboard cover is better than nothing. :)

Bronco25

No according to OSHA

No according to OSHA

I had a lengthy discussion with an OSHA inspector on this subject, suffice to say his answer was no, items mentioned included no listing, not resistant to water, poor physical protection and others.

mivey

It's funny because IMO the cardboard cover is better than nothing. :)
Better is relative. It would be better if I would not stick my finger in the auto-stapler more than once but don't we just have to know what would happen?:grin:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
http://www.orosha.org/interps/1997/panelbox.pdf

This is a letter of explanation from Oregon OSHA and a utility explaining the use of cardboard covers. Enjoy....

Here is what I don't get:

If someone in the field observes an unguarded panel box prior to service connection and
after the building inspector has approved the installation, it is recommended that they
explain the hazard to the general contractor and recommend reinstallation of the panel
cover.

We usually get two inspections, rough in and final. Rough in simply allows for our work to be covered and only that which is going to be covered needs to be complete. Having panels covered is not required for rough in. In fact, the inspector can't even do a proper rough in inspection with the panel covers on.

Final is done AFTER all the walls are finished and we have every cover on. After final we are done. No more work, we're outta there.

So, the OHSA statement, above, makes no sense to me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.