Might be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok just had a huge argument....someone started yelling at me because I thought that RMC and RGS/GRC was two different types of conduit but he said they are exactly the same thing.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
RMC doesn't necessarily have to be galvanized or steel. They can be different.

Last edited:

eric9822

Occupation
You can get rigid metal conduit made of aluminum, stainless steel, and I have heard ungalvanized steel although I have never seen the latter. If a spec says GRC it means galvanized rigid conduit, if a spec says RMC it's not really clear what is required.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You can get rigid metal conduit made of aluminum, stainless steel, and I have heard ungalvanized steel although I have never seen the latter. If a spec says GRC it means galvanized rigid conduit, if a spec says RMC it's not really clear what is required.

Exactly the case. It specified RGC and then RMC for other items.

barclayd

Article 344 covers Rigid Metal Conduit: Type RMC.
344.2 defines several types - steel, aluminum, red brass, & stainless steel.
"GRC", "RGS", etc., are informal, unofficial, slang abbreviations for "Galvanized Steel RMC. I've also seen "RGC" & "GRS".
If one of those abbreviations is shown on the drawings, it should also be defined somewhere on the drawings.
RMC is not always GRS, but it's not worth arguing about or losing a job over.
db

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Article 344 covers Rigid Metal Conduit: Type RMC.
344.2 defines several types - steel, aluminum, red brass, & stainless steel.
"GRC", "RGS", etc., are informal, unofficial, slang abbreviations for "Galvanized Steel RMC. I've also seen "RGC" & "GRS".
If one of those abbreviations is shown on the drawings, it should also be defined somewhere on the drawings.
RMC is not always GRS, but it's not worth arguing about or losing a job over.
db

Ok so if a spec reads that all power distribution cables are to be in rigid conduits what is your feeling about the information given regarding the conduit?

bullheimer

that you go to the store and get rigid. which is always galvenized, in most general usage. i like to go by the definitions that are in the headers used in the code book, as listed by barclayed type RMC. i have been around a small while and worked at refineries as well, always and only used your std rigid. but yeah you blew it, nevertheless. i also have used plastic coated rigid. the others are out there. i have actually seen them. just not installed them. and yeah, the weird ones were all at the refinery. just because neither you nor i have used them doesnt mean they dont exist.

however, i could easily be on your side, because i think in this case they do mean the same thing: Generic Runofthemill rigid Conduit. just that more info was just explained to us by our wonderful site members.

Last edited:

eric9822

Occupation
Rigid is not always galvanized steel. We run miles of conduit in a given year and very little of it is galvanized. Unless an equipment supplier specifies galvanized steel or we are installing in an area subject to damage we use aluminum.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Rigid is not always galvanized steel. We run miles of conduit in a given year and very little of it is galvanized. Unless an equipment supplier specifies galvanized steel or we are installing in an area subject to damage we use aluminum.

Ok so that's my question. If it says to run power distribution cables in "rigid conduit" you don't automatically assume and use rgs? I mean power distribution cables are not goging to be run in PVC so what else is left in the "rigid" family. I guess just either alum or steel is left!!?? Thanks.

tkb

I am surprised you have a job as an electrical estimator by some of the questions you ask here.
It is obvious that you don't have any construction experience.

RGS, GRC, RMC all the same. Rigid Steel Galvanized Conduit.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I am surprised you have a job as an electrical estimator by some of the questions you ask here.

Spec said RIGID CONDUIT...NOT RMC

barclayd

Ok so that's my question. If it says to run power distribution cables in "rigid conduit" you don't automatically assume and use rgs? I mean power distribution cables are not goging to be run in PVC so what else is left in the "rigid" family. I guess just either alum or steel is left!!?? Thanks.
Power cables can most certainly be installed in PVC.
They 'Probably' do mean galvanized steel RMC, but "rigid conduit" does not fully or properly define their intent. Submit an RFI.
db

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

Okay, can RMC be aluminum? If so that is not galvanized, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.