Pricing for CCTV cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishRugger

It has been a long time since I have posted any thing but I have a question for you
Recently I submitted a Propsal to a Youth Services Facility that needed CCTV cabing installed.

The Facility provided all cabling, cameras, and the rest ov the system. I was invited to bid on cable pulling only. They were re-using some cable that they had pulled out of another one of their facilities and some new cable that they were providing.

We had 24 separate cameras to pull to each one having it's own dedicated run as specified by the Administrator, No daisy chaining. Of course each run was different lengths and different degrees of difficulty. After inspecting the facility and determining cable routes I figured a total 4200 feet of cable would have to be pulled. I counted 18 penetrations through 18 inches of brick & block, some areas would need some surface raceway to conceal cable. And because of the nature of the facility that being a detention center access to areas is an issue as far as time is concerned. With all of that being said my labor came to just under $4800.00 and I figured about $200.00 in surface race way for those obscure ares where it would be needed. Suffice to say I thought I was giving them a fair price.

This is an old building with some drop ceiings and some finished plaster and mesh. some access holes needed to be created. Even in the dropped ceiling areas are jamed with other electrical fire alarm Heat/ Cooling ect.

I was told after two weeks of the submittal that I was $3500.00 higher than an similar project done two years ago at another facility they own in a town over 200 miles away.

As you can predict my question do you think my price is too high based on what information I gave you in the post?

nhfire77

$4800 to install "used" cable????

You are absurdly low. Pulling in the cable in 75% of the project. I cannot begin to tell you what your price should be, as it would be very site specific. With the access issues of a detention center, the man hours involved must be well over 100 to install 24 runs of "used" cable. $50/hr gross, is crazy, you would be losing money here.

As far as you being higher than a similar job, that almost has got to be a ploy to see if they can get you lower, and you are already too low, IMO.

I would be happy if you didn't get it for $5000.00

Used coax or Siamese cable???!???! Did I read that right

satcom

That job can cost you 4K or more just to install the hanger supports for the runs before you run any cable and just because it's low voltage don't think you can do the job without permits and inspections, my bet is they are playing you because you came in with such a low estimate
State projects are usually PW work and that makes this job way low

Ask them why they haven't had the EC that did the other job bid this one. Then ask for the other EC's name and number, and sub all your LV work out to him so you can make the "big spread". Ha Ha. They are just grinding on you.

IrishRugger

Update you guys may find interesting

Update you guys may find interesting

Hey thank you guys for your responses. Just an update on this project. I was told by a freind that works at that facility they decided to pull all those runs in themselves.

I asked if it was any fun he said abruptly "No, because there are some real thick walls and floors to penetrate thru and it was taking alot of their time and effort."

Then he said " But what do you do?"

I replied "Well you could have hired me to do it"

So apparantly they decided to save themselves some money.

My freind wouldn't reveal if they got other prices, I bet they did.

Thanks again,

Irishrugger

Status
Not open for further replies.