Ceiling Wire Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgmelec

I have to install some ceiling wire for fixture support, the steel junior beams are about 18 ft. high. Does anyone know how to make the pole that is used to twist the wire? I've seen the commercialy available poles, but i also remember seeing a pole that was made on the jobsite with emt.

peter

Usually the wire is already twisted onto the eye bolt. The trick is to get the eye bolt screwed in.
You can get a little tool which has a slot in it to twist the eye bolt but it's shank is only about 2". So you have to figure out a way to crimp your 1/2" emt to the shank and probably fit your drill to the other end.
~Peter

masterinbama

What's a junior beam?
If you can bend a hook in the wire and hang it over part of the beam a piece of 3/4 EMT with a corkscrew cut in the end will do the trick.

Take the conduit and cut it at an angle from the end, making a finger that will catch the loose end of the wire.

Steviechia2

I usually Get my ceiling tie wires and tools from a buildng supply house such as Kamco. Not sure if they have one near you but it's a steel stud/sheet rock/acoustical ceiling supplier.

mgmelec

i made the tool described today. took a lenght of 3/4 emt cut a 1" groove vertically into one side then ran the sawzall around the pipe just short of cutting all the way through. then opened up the cut making a hook of sorts in the end.
feed the ceiling wire (with end folded over) into emt, guide it over the flange of the beam and twist. worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.