Fire Pump Controller Disconnect Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Hello everyone:

Does the code allow us to add a non-fused disconnect switch adjacent to the fire pump controller in purpose if they had to replace the fire pump controller without shutting down the entire building? I do understand the fire pump controller comes with integral disconnect switch but I'm more concern about if they ever need to replace it. The tap is being located in a vertical section of the main service switchgear a head of the main breaker.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hello everyone:

Does the code allow us to add a non-fused disconnect switch adjacent to the fire pump controller in purpose if they had to replace the fire pump controller without shutting down the entire building? I do understand the fire pump controller comes with integral disconnect switch but I'm more concern about if they ever need to replace it. The tap is being located in a vertical section of the main service switchgear a head of the main breaker.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Yes, you can. But you are allowed only one in the entire circuit. It has to be rated for the locked rotor current of all the fire pump(s) connected to the controller. And it's not the NEC locked rotor current, you go to NFPA 20 for that.

faresos

Yes, you can. But you are allowed only one in the entire circuit. It has to be rated for the locked rotor current of all the fire pump(s) connected to the controller. And it's not the NEC locked rotor current, you go to NFPA 20 for that.

When you say "allowed only one in the entire circuit", if I add another non-fused disconnect switch upstream of the fire pump controller (which will have integral disconnect switch), this will make it two disconnect in series, is this allowed? What section of the code it says I can't have two disconnect?

Thanks,

jumper

When you say "allowed only one in the entire circuit", if I add another non-fused disconnect switch upstream of the fire pump controller (which will have integral disconnect switch), this will make it two disconnect in series, is this allowed? What section of the code it says I can't have two disconnect?

Thanks,

I will take a try with this:

695.4(B)(1)(a)

(B) Connection Through Disconnecting Means and Overcurrent Device.
(1) Number of Disconnecting Means.
(a) General. A single disconnecting means and associ- ated overcurrent protective device(s) shall be permitted to be installed between the fire pump power source(s) and one of the following: [20:9.1.2]
(1) A listed fire pump controller
(2) A listed fire pump power transfer switch
(3) A listed combination fire pump controller and power
transfer switch

jumper

Graphic I found.

018741149_1-d21e51cac0c5d5659e5dd7ee046bd127.png

Status
Not open for further replies.