multi family hevy up

Status
Not open for further replies.

wff

Doing a heavy up for a five unit apt building. What Dose 2008 nec. Require the min circuit amps for each sub panel in the Apts? Gas heat/water and cooking so no real loud in the units.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Use article 220 and calculate the size from that. Even though there are some gas appliances, you will still need to do a little math.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am sheltered here where the West begins, what is a "Hevy up"? A service upgrade?
I think it is more a North Eastern term for service upgrade, I don't hear it down here in the South.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Maybe it's a "Down East" term for a service upgrade. I still haven't figured out down east. :confused: Out West I get.

Down East is a common term used at the North Pole, everything from there is down. ;)

Roger

wff

Sorry about that, its a (Sevice upgrade). one of you got the area right (md). I didn't know it was a local term. So there is no min for each apt? It would just go buy its own requirements for the apt?

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
I'm curious as to why a mechanical contractor would be inquiring about the requirements for sizing dwelling unit panels in an electrical service upgrade...

wff

I'm curious as to why a mechanical contractor would be inquiring about the requirements for sizing dwelling unit panels in an electrical service upgrade...

Thanks jumper, I'm the new guy so I didn't want to push him under the bus. But I think he got cliped non the less. So after looking a little more in nec 2008 I do belive my first poster was right and i just do the math. Looks like I was given bad info locally about there being a 150 amp min to each unit. If anyone knows anything different please post it. We have private Contractors doing all inspections now and Bad info is becoming a regular thing.

Last edited:

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Thanks jumper, I'm the new guy so I didn't want to push him under the bus. But I think he got cliped non the less. So after looking a little more in nec 2008 I do belive my first poster was right and i just do the math. Looks like I was given bad info locally about there being a 150 amp min to each unit. If anyone knows anything different please post it. We have private Contractors doing all inspections now and Bad info is becoming a regular thing.

I sincerely apologize for any disrepect. It was not intended. I honestly did not know that it was not uncommon for a mechanical contractor to also hold an electrical license. Please accept my sincere apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.