Does 110.26(A)(1) apply to a motor disconnect w/locable controller upstream?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does 110.26(A)(1) apply to a motor disconnect if I can lock out a controller which feeds the disconnect prior to opening the safety switch/disconnect? The controller is designed to be locked out and isolates all power sources to the disconnect.

kwired

Electron manager
Wording in the NEC leaves this wide open to interpretation and has for years. Some AHJ require space at the disconnect some don't.
Some require space if there is an overcurrent device as part of the disconnect.

How is one to provide a disconnect within sight and have proper working clearance in some installations such as an air handler above a suspended ceiling?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would think with a lockout you would be fine, however the code makes no exception for that. If the disconnect has fuses or a circuit breaker then I would think that 110.26 would apply. I agree it is not clear so check with the local ahj.

hurk27

I would think with a lockout you would be fine, however the code makes no exception for that. If the disconnect has fuses or a circuit breaker then I would think that 110.26 would apply. I agree it is not clear so check with the local ahj.

Yet I have argued this in here for years, that 110.26 doesnt apply to a unfused disconnect for a AC unit, Milbanks even makes one pull-out that has no exposed energized parts UL listed without a dead front, and was still told 110.26 applies?

kwired

Electron manager
Yet I have argued this in here for years, that 110.26 doesnt apply to a unfused disconnect for a AC unit, Milbanks even makes one pull-out that has no exposed energized parts UL listed without a dead front, and was still told 110.26 applies?

A simple snap switch qualifies as a disconnect sometimes - Have you ever seen anyone require 110.26 to apply for a snap switch? Same with cord and plug.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A simple snap switch qualifies as a disconnect sometimes - Have you ever seen anyone require 110.26 to apply for a snap switch? Same with cord and plug.

Okay but you generally don't have maintenance on a snap switch. A fused disco may be considered to need service.

kwired

Electron manager
Okay but you generally don't have maintenance on a snap switch. A fused disco may be considered to need service.

I have replaced many failed snap switches is that not maintenance? Even used a meter to test them to verify they were failed.

I have also used a meter to verify there was power at a receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have replaced many failed snap switches is that not maintenance? Even used a meter to test them to verify they were failed.

I have also used a meter to verify there was power at a receptacle.

This is an argument that cannot be won. I have argued your side for years. I was just throwing out the probability that an inspector may want the same requirements for a disconnect with OCPD as they would a panel with OCPD.

Now how do we do that in crawl spaces, above ceilings etc. Sometimes it is not practical.

kwired

Electron manager
This is an argument that cannot be won. I have argued your side for years. I was just throwing out the probability that an inspector may want the same requirements for a disconnect with OCPD as they would a panel with OCPD.

Now how do we do that in crawl spaces, above ceilings etc. Sometimes it is not practical.

But you are still required to put a disconnect within sight from some equipment even if it is located in a crawl space or above a suspended ceiling or some other space where 110.26 is impossible to comply with.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Because CMP 1 refuses to put any reasonable wording in 110.26, it applies to all electrical equipment. The installation of the required kitchen counter receptacles creates a violation of 110.26.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The members of the cmp at our meeting last week say that 110.26 applies to disconnects with or without fuses. I am not sure I agree with them but that is no surprise.

kwired

Electron manager
The members of the cmp at our meeting last week say that 110.26 applies to disconnects with or without fuses. I am not sure I agree with them but that is no surprise.

So that means a snap switch that serves as the required disconnect for a household disposer is in violation of 110.26 if it is installed over the countertop or inside the sink base. It needs installed someplace that has 30 x 36 clear space yet must be within sight of the disposer.

Lots of commercial and industrial motors are located in places where there is no 110.26 clearance within sight of the motor.

jwelectric

After reading this thread I am confused. What part of 110.26 addresses disconnects? Reading this thread one would think that 110.26 addresses disconnects only.

110.26 Spaces About Electrical EQUIPMENT. Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical EQUIPMENT to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.
(A) Working Space. Working space for EQUIPMENT operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

Why would anyone think this would address a fused disconnect any different than a non-fused disconnect?
Why would anyone think that this would address a disconnect any differently than any other piece of electrical equipment?

kwired

Electron manager
After reading this thread I am confused. What part of 110.26 addresses disconnects? Reading this thread one would think that 110.26 addresses disconnects only.

110.26 Spaces About Electrical EQUIPMENT. Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical EQUIPMENT to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.
(A) Working Space. Working space for EQUIPMENT operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

Why would anyone think this would address a fused disconnect any different than a non-fused disconnect?
Why would anyone think that this would address a disconnect any differently than any other piece of electrical equipment?

What equipment is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized? When something is not working right that can be almost anything, even just a splice box.

jwelectric

What equipment is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized? When something is not working right that can be almost anything, even just a splice box.

There is the key to this section. Can it be turned off before doing any examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance?
Yes
Then there would be no need for the working space.

kwired

Electron manager

There is the key to this section. Can it be turned off before doing any examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance?
Yes

What is there that can not be turned off first. It is not always convenient to do so, but that is not the issue. Service equipment that may require calling POCO to have it shut off may be an exception but everything else can be shut off.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Yes

Mike, every sub panel can be turned off. Not sure where you got that info.

jwelectric

Mike, every sub panel can be turned off. Not sure where you got that info.
I agree that a remote panel can be de-energized before any work is to be done. I will return to this statement shortly.

When addressing 110.26 we seem to want to address this as being directed to disconnects only which is far from the truth. If this were true then every receptacle installed would require a space of 30 inches wide and 36 inches deep around it with nothing projecting more than 6 inches past the finish cover.
110.26 states that there must be; Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.

This is an all encompassing statement about ALL ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT as outlined in the main body of the text with subsections (A) through (G) mandating this working space around equipment.

If we look at 110.26(A)(1)(b) we see that this working space is required for a 24 volt transformer such as those found in air handling units in crawl spaces both under the floor as well as in attics but only if they require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized.

In 110.26(A)(1)(a) and (c) dead-front switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers are outlined just as in 110.26(C)(E) and (F). In 110.26(C) this work space requirement addresses such things that contains overcurrent devices, switching devices, or control devices.

Now to answer your question I got this information from 110.26 and in “my opinion” a disconnect for an outside AC or heat pump unit does not fit into this category. There would be no reason to work on this disconnect while it is energized no more than working on the 24 volt transformer in the air handler would require work while energized. Just as the disconnect for the motor that is located to fullfill the within sight rule.
A remote panelboard on the other hand is outlined in the text therefore requiring the mandated working space.
What do you think about all this? :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.