25' rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete m.

Assuming you are referring to a feeder tap you can employ the "25' rule" as long as you meet all of the conditions of 240.21(B)(2)

Pete

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You might be able to use the 10' tap rule which is less restrictive in the size of the tap condcutors.

relbas

The feeder is indoor and no room to install with in 10 '
I am taping to a 400 Amp branch circuit that is feeding a distribution panel. this circuit is supplying only this panel. Does it makes feeder or branch circuit?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am taping to a 400 Amp branch circuit that is feeding a distribution panel. this circuit is supplying only this panel. Does it makes feeder or branch circuit?

The 400 amp circuit feeding the DP is a feeder not a branch circuit. 10' would be the length of the tap condcutors under the 10' tap rule.

NEC Article 100:

Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment, the source of a separately derived system, or other power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device.

. Does it makes feeder or branch circuit?

Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final
overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).

Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment,
the source of a separately derived system, or other
power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent
device.

As I've always read that as when there's an OCPD on the far end of the wire from the power source, it's a feeder. If it runs into utilization equipment, it's a branch circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
If you can not meet the length requirements 10' or 25' your other choices are to find a way to get an overcurrent device within 10 or 25 feet or make the full capacity (400 amps in this case) extend to within 10 or 25 feet of where you can put the overcurrent device. If you tap with 400 amp conductors it is just a branch of the 400 amp feeder and not a feeder tap.

volt101

Feeder. Check to make sure that 430.24 & 430.62 are both complied with.

Status
Not open for further replies.